Start Date: January 2014
Primary Supervisor: Dr David Fletcher
Second Supervisor(s): Professor Ian Henry
Gillian is a chartered sport and performance psychologist. She is Health and Care Professions Council registered and works with elite athletes and coaches from a variety of sports.
Gillian graduated with a First Class BSc Honours degree in Psychology from the University of Aberdeen in 2012. She received the University of Aberdeen Colours Award for Outstanding Dedication to Sport in 2012 for her involvement with the University tennis team, which included positions as President and 1st team ladies captain. Gillian continued her studies at Loughborough University, graduating with Distinction from the MSc Psychology of Sport and Exercise programme in 2013. She was awarded the Loughborough University UK EU Departmental Academic Scholarship for her Masters degree. Gillian won the British Psychological Society (Division of Sport and Exercise Psychology) 2014 MSc Award. This award recognises the best dissertation by a BPS DSEP member. Her MSc thesis was part-funded by a National Governing Body and investigated perceptions of sport psychology within an Olympic swimming team.
Building on her MSc, Gillian is conducting her PhD in collaboration with British Swimming. In particular, she is focusing on the psychological and social aspects of the world’s best swimming coaches, and how they optimize athlete’s performances. She has coaching qualifications in tennis and skiing.
Psychosocial Aspects of Olympic Coaching.
Gillian's research aims to understand the psychology of the world’s best Olympic swimming coaches, and how they optimize athlete’s performances.
- Oct 2018 - Presentation: “A Systematic Review of the Psychosocial Aspects of Olympic Coaching.” Association for Applied Sport Psychology Annual Conference, Toronto, Canada.
- Dec 2017 - Presentation: “Sport Psychology in an Olympic Swimming Team: Perceptions of the Swimmers.” British Psychological Society (Division of Sport and Exercise Psychology) Conference, Glasgow, UK.
- Dec 2015 - Invited presentation: “Sport Psychology in an Olympic Swimming Team: Perceptions of Management and Coaches.” British Psychological Society (Division of Sport and Exercise Psychology) Conference, Leeds, UK.
- Feb 2015 - Invited workshop presentation: “My Journey so far.” Association for Applied Sport Psychology Annual Student Conference, Loughborough, UK.
- Oct 2014 - Presentation: “Sport Psychology in an Olympic Swimming Team: Perspectives of Management and Coaches.” Association for Applied Sport Psychology Annual Conference, Las Vegas, USA.
- Jun 2014 - British Psychological Society’s Master’s Dissertation of the Year Award
- Oct 2012 - Loughborough University UK/EU Departmental Academic Scholarship
- May 2012 - University of Aberdeen Colours Award for Outstanding Dedication to Sport
Sources of Funding:
- British Swimming
- Cook, G. M., & Fletcher, D. (2017). Sport psychology in an Olympic swimming team: Perceptions of the management and coaches. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 48, 343-351. doi:10.1037/pro0000142