19 Dec 2014
REF success for the School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences
Data released today (Thursday 18 December 2014) as part of the national Research Excellence Framework (REF) reveals that Loughborough University has consolidated its position in the premier league of research universities.
The results show that 65.5% of the work of Loughborough’s academic staff who were eligible to be submitted to the REF was judged as ‘world-leading’ or ‘internationally excellent’, and is therefore eligible to receive research funding. This compares to a national average figure of 43%.
Loughborough demonstrated its pre-eminence in sport and is again home to the country’s largest concentration of world-leading research in this area.
The School of Sport, Exercise and Health Sciences was ranked:
- The School was ranked 1st in the UK for the overall quality of its research.*(*Based on GPA x Volume)
- 1st in the UK for research outputs, impact and research environment.*(*Based on GPA x Volume)
- 82% of our research was rated world-leading or internationally excellent (3* or 4*).
- Reach and significance: 100% of our ‘research impact’ was rated world-leading or internationally excellent (3* or 4*), with 75% being world-leading.
- Originality, significance and rigour: 72% of our research outputs were rated world-leading or internationally excellent (3* or 4*).
- Research vitality and sustainability: 100% of our research environment was rated world-leading (4*).
The very high submission rate at Loughborough (88% of eligible staff were returned) was one of the highest in the sector and provides assurance to students that they will enjoy the benefits of being taught in a world-class research environment.
Overall the proportion of Loughborough’s research judged to be ‘world leading’ (4*) increased by 37% and that considered ‘internationally excellent’ increased by 23%.
Vice Chancellor, Robert Allison said: “The combination of a significant increase in the proportion of our research deemed world leading, and high, inclusive submission rate, evidences our claim to be one the UK’s premier research universities where students can be assured that their courses involve staff at the cutting edge of their intellectual disciplines.”