Professor Graham Matthews
Professor of Information Management
Graham was Head of Discipline, Information Management, School of Business and Economics, Loughborough University (2013-2015) and, prior to that, Head, Department of Information Science (2009-2013).
Before returning to Loughborough in 2006, Graham was Professor of Information and Library Management, Head of Research, School of Business Information, Faculty of Business and Law, Liverpool John Moores University (2004-2006); Professor of Information and Library Management (2003), Director of Research, Faculty of Computing, Information and English, University of Central England in Birmingham (UCE) (1999–2004). Before moving into lecturing at Liverpool and then Loughborough in the mid1980s, he held posts in academic and public libraries.
Professor Matthews was a member of REF 2014 Sub-panel 36, Communication, Cultural and Media Studies, Library and Information Management. He was Panel Chair (2014-2015), QAA Subject Benchmark Statement Review, Librarianship, Information, Knowledge, Records and Archives Management
His major current research interests are emergency planning / disaster management in the cultural heritage sector, and formal and informal learning space in universities. He was Project Head of an Arts and Humanities Research Council funded project: Safeguarding heritage at risk: disaster management in United Kingdom archives, libraries and museums, 2005-2006. He has written and spoken widely about these topics.
His current teaching activities are in the areas of digital resilience and managing big data.
- Member, International Council on Archives Expert Group on Emergency Management and Disaster Preparedness
- Member, Editorial Board, New Review of Academic Librarianship
- Corresponding Member (and formally Co-Chair), International Federation of Library Associations (IFLA) Section on Education and Training
- Member, Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals
- Member, REF 2014 Sub-panel 36, Communication, Cultural and Media Studies, Library and Information Management
- Panel Chair (2014-2015), QAA Subject Benchmark Statement Review, Librarianship, Information, Knowledge, Records and Archives Management
- Walton, G. and Matthews, G. (eds) Exploring informal learning space in the University: a collaborative approach. Abingdon: Routledge, 2018, 181pp. ISBN 978-4724-8261-7.
- Matthews, G and Walton, G. “Strategic development of university library space. Widening the influence”, New Library World, 2014, 115 (5-6), pp 237-249.
- Matthews, G. and Walton, G. (eds) University libraries and space in the digital age. Farnham: Ashgate, 2013, 248pp. ISBN 978 1 4094 2382 9
- Matthews, G., Smith, Y. and Knowles, G., Disaster Management in Archives, Libraries and Museums. Ashgate, Farnham, 2009, 229pp. ISBN 978 0 7546 7273 9
Walton, G. and Matthews, G. (eds) Exploring informal learning space in the University: a collaborative approach. Abingdon: Routledge, 2018, 181pp. ISBN 978-4724-8261-7