Dr Nicola Bateman is a Senior Lecturer in operations management and Programme Director for the Specialist Masters programmes in the School of Business and Economics. She joined Loughborough in 2007.
She is a chartered engineer and a member of the IET. Her first degree was in Manufacturing Engineering from Brunel University. Her PhD was “Modelling Manufacturing Systems Flexibility” from De Montfort University where she was also a senior lecturer. She has also worked as a Research Fellow at Cardiff University in the Lean Enterprise Research Centre with Dan Jones.
Her industrial experience includes Mars in the food industry and Linread Northbridge in the Aerospace components industry. She also had a two year secondment to the Department of Trade and Industry working with the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders in the automotive sector.
Nicola’s current research includes operational effectiveness in the UK Fire and Rescue Service and the use of visual tools in operational environments. The fire service research is part of her exploration of the use of operations management in public service environments. Her visual management work addresses how visual tools can be used to support decision making in operations environments, particularly team-based situations. Also how can these visual tools be best designed and used to support decision making
She has published in journals such as International Journal of Operations and Production Management and International Journal of Production Research, on subjects such as lean operations and modelling systems flexibility. More recently she has published on the use of visual management for team decision making, including contributing to the “Routledge Companion to Visual Organisation”.
Nicola recently won best paper award at the British Academy of Management with colleagues from Cardiff University Ann Esain and Sarah Lethbridge for “Pillar or Platform - A Taxonomy for Process Improvement Activities”.
She has presented to organisations such as the CBI and participated in a DTI economic evaluation unit.
- Radnor Z, Bateman N, Upton D, Esain A, Kumar M and Williams S. (editors) (2015). Public Service Operations Management: A Research Companion Routledge London
- Rich, N, Bateman, NA, Esain, A, Massey, L, Samuel, D (2006) Lean Evolution: Lessons from the Workplace, Cambridge University Press.
- Bateman, NA and Industry Forum, SMMT (2001) Sustainability: A Guide to Process Improvement, Lean Enterprise Research Centre, ISBN: 0-9537982-2-4.
- Bateman, NA, Hines, P, Davidson, P (2014) Wider applications for Lean: An examination of the fundamental principles within public sector organisations, International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management, 63(5): 550-568.
- Naim, M, Potter, A, Mason, R, Bateman, NA (2006) The Role of Transport Flexibility in Logistics Provision, The International Journal of Logistics Management, 17(3): 297-315, ISSN: 0957-4093.