Pol Arias-Melia MSc in Operational Research, University of Edinburgh
Doctoral Researcher in Management Science and Operations Management
Pol Arias is a PhD researcher at Loughborough University, beign supervised by Prof Jiyin Liu and Dr Rupal Rana. The title of his research is 'Workforce Scheduling and Vehicle Sharing to Reduce Carbon Emissions and Improve Service Quality'.
Prior to this Pol earned a MSc in Operational Research at the University of Edinburgh. He did his MSc thesis in NICTA (Sydney) with the supervision of Dr Daniel Guimarans and Dr Roberto Rossi. Moreover, during his PhD he has visited CIRRELT (Montreal) with the supervision of Prof Gilbert Laporte.
- Mathematical programming
Pol’s main research interest nowadays is focused on combinatorial problems such as vehicle routing and scheduing problems and how to efficiently solve them. Pol has worked prior to his PhD on this topics (Rich Vehicle Routing Problem) publishing in top-rated journals such as ACM Surveys.
He has previously worked on air transportation related problems, such as the aircraft recovery problem, boarding strategies and turnaround problem. All of them have led Pol to present in international conferences.
Last but not least, Pol is working on how to do hybridisation of optimisation techniques such as: mixing constraint programming (CP) with large neighbourhood serch, metaheuristics with mathematical programming, or optimisation techniques with simulation.
Professor Jiyin Liu and Dr Rupal Rana
- Pol Arias, Jiyin Liu, Rupal Rana. Workforce Scheduling and Vehicle Sharing to Reduce Carbon Emissions and Improve Service Quality. VeRoLog 2016. Nantes, France, June 2016.
- José Cáceres-Cruz, Pol Arias, Daniel Guimarans, Daniel Riera, Àngel A. Juan. Rich Vehicle Routing Problem: Survey. ACM Computing Surveys (CSUR), 47 (2), pp. 1-28, 2014.
- Pol Arias, Daniel Guimarans, Miguel A. Mújica, Geert Boosten. A methodology combining optimisation and simulation for real applications of the Stochastic Aircraft Recovery Problem. In proceedings of EUROSIM 2013. Cardiff (Wales), United Kingdom; September, 2013.
- Pol Arias, Daniel Guimarans, Miguel A. Mújica. A new methodology to solve the Stochastic Aircraft Recovery Problem using optimisation and simulation. In proceedings of International Conference on Interdisciplinary Science for Innovative Air Traffic Management (ISIATM). Toulouse, France; July, 2013.
- Silvia Mas., Angel A. Juan, Pol Arias, Pau Fonseca. A Simulation study regarding different Aircraft Boarding Strategies. Springer Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, 145: 145-152, 2013.
- Iris Silverio, Angel A. Juan, Pol Arias. A Simulation-based approach for solving the Aircraft Turnaround Problem. Springer Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing, 145: 163-170, 2013.
- Daniel Guimarans, Pol Arias, Miguel Mújica Mota. Large Neighbourhood Search and Simulation for Disruption Management in the Airline Industry. In Miguel Mújica Mota, Idalia Flores, Daniel Guimarans (Eds.), Applied Simulation and Optimization: In Logistics, Industrial and Aeronautical Practice, Chapter 6 (pp. 169-201). ISBN 978-3-319-15032-1. Springer, 2015.