Watch and read what our students and graduates have to say about their programmes and how Loughborough has helped develop their career aspirations.
MSc Business Analytics Consulting
2016 intake - 1 year full-time
- About the programme
- Career opportunities
- Entry criteria
- Next steps
This programme is ideal if you wish to use your analytic skills to derive and obtain useful insights from large amounts of data.
By equipping you with the rigorous modelling and consulting skills needed to understand, manage and communicate useful insights from ‘big data’, it prepares you to inform business decisions or government policies. As such, you will develop skills highly prized by employers in today’s knowledge economy.
The programme involves a taught and a project component. Taught modules are led and delivered by our group of internationally recognised management scientists, who are actively working with business, government and non-profit organisations to tackle routine, strategic or policy problems in areas such as: health, transport, telecommunications, energy, defence, government and public services.
Soft skills and the use of industry-leading tools that are in high demand from employers are tested throughout the programme. Our industry advisory board will ensure that the focus of our taught modules is of both academic and practical relevance. Our board includes practitioners from companies such as IBM, RWE npower, BT, ebiquity and Government Operational Research Service. In addition, we have developed two modules - Customer Analytics and Leading Analytics Initiatives - in close collaboration with our partner IBM, who also sponsor a student prize.
During the summer, you will undertake a supervised consulting or research project. This will give you the opportunity to apply powerful tools such as data mining, forecasting, optimisation, simulation and decision analysis to a particular area of business or policy, and provide you with an excellent preparation for the world of work.
Learning, teaching and assessment
Teaching on the Business Analytics Consulting programme is provided by our world-renowned specialist staff using a number of methods, including: lectures, seminars, group work, individual tutorials and feedback forums, one-to-one sessions with programme tutors and workshops. Modules are assessed by a combination of examinations and skills-based coursework assessments.
How you can benefit from our Centre for Information Management (CIM)
Loughborough University’s Centre for Information Management is one of the leading research institutes of its kind and is undertaking cutting edge research in a range of fields, often in close collaboration with industry partners, including IBM, Jaguar Land Rover, Leicester County Council, Leicestershire Police, Microsoft, Rolls Royce and SAP to name a few.
Extra-Curricular Industry Speakers
As a student here you can benefit from a range of fantastic (extra-curricular) industry speakers who come to campus as part of CIM’s distinguished speaker programme, with examples from Yahoo! and Dell so far. This is in addition to the range of master-classes and public lectures that the university offers in a wide array of business-related subjects, from finance and banking to outsourcing and management.
The School reserves the right to vary the list of all modules.
All modules are compulsory.
- Consulting for Analytics - You will learn the craft and skills required by analytic consultants, and which employers look for but often find lacking. It will cover process aspects of analytics projects, as well as skills in client interaction, problem structuring and data elicitation (with individuals and/or groups, and with hard/soft data), presenting data-driven analyses, report writing, and developing simple bespoke decision support systems.
- Discovery Analytics - You will be introduced to common statistical methods to explore and visualise cross sectional and temporal data. You will also learn about the design and conduct of data collection efforts, together with methods for dealing with data outliers and missing data. Industry-leading tools that are in high demand from employers (e.g. SAS and SPSS) will be used.
- Decision Analytics - Your will be introduced to common operational research techniques to help determine the best course of action for a given decision or problem. Topics covered include optimisation, simulation and decision and risk analysis.
- Managing Big Data - Your will learn about the challenges and opportunities derived from the increased volume, variety, velocity and value of data that is available today. A range of big data topics will be covered including data type, data integration, data technologies, and data security.
- Customer Analytics - You will focus on analytics techniques that can help organisations gain a deeper insight into customers’ behaviour and attitudes towards their products and services. It will cover approaches designed to provide a profile of customer segments, such as those grounded in data mining and multivariate statistical analysis. Industry-leading tools that are in high demand from employers (e.g. SAS and SPSS) will be used. There is an IBM sponsored student prize on this module.
- Leading Analytics Initiatives - You will learn about the issues associated with implementing an analytics capability in organisations. It will cover topics on how to develop an analytics strategy, how to embed analytics in organisational processes to ensure they deliver value, and how to deploy analytics throughout the organisation to improve decision making. There is an IBM sponsored student prize on this module.
- Operations Analytics - You will focus on analytics techniques that can help organisations to develop a better understanding of operational processes, and identify efficiency and cost reduction opportunities. Topics covered include advanced optimisation and simulation techniques.
- Policy and Strategy Analytics - You will focus on analytics techniques designed to tackle complex policy and strategic issues. It will cover approaches designed to explain the behaviour of complex social systems or assess the consequences of complex decisions, in order to provide the levers for policy and strategy making in a variety of sectors.
Business analytics is a new and rapidly developing field, and individuals with analytics skills are in short supply. Employers across the private, public and nonprofit sectors are all looking to recruit analytics talent to help them gain competitive advantage or create effective policies.
Graduates from this programme can expect to work as management consultants, business analysts, policy analysts, marketing researchers, operations researchers, and data scientists.
The programme can also serve as an entry point for studying a PhD.
You should have, or expect to have, a good upper second class honours degree (2:1) from a UK university or equivalent overseas qualification recognised by Loughborough University.
See our full list of International Qualification Equivalencies for all countries. Degrees must be obtained from a university or institution recognised by Loughborough University. Please contact us to clarify if required.
Degrees in engineering, mathematics, physics, psychology, economics, and business and management will be particularly welcomed. Applicants from other degrees may be considered on a case-by-case basis provided they can show strong quantitative ability. GRE or GMAT scores may be requested to verify numeracy skills.
Work experience will be considered for applicants who do not hold a first degree.
English language requirement for international students
IELTS: overall 6.5 with minimum 6.0 in each component
The School will accept lower IELTS scores if you undertake the University's pre-sessional English course.
If you are interested in studying our Business Analytics Consulting MSc please follow the links for further useful information:
- Fees and funding - find out how much your programme will cost
- How to apply - tips on the application process
- Masters open days - a chance to visit the facilities and meet our academics
- Student experience - find out about our award-winning student experience
- Student profiles - read profiles and watch videos from our students and alumni
- Accommodation - find out about living in Loughborough
- International students - extra information for international students
To enquire about our Business Analytics Consulting programme please contact:
Postgraduate Admissions Team
Tel: +44 (0)1509 223121
We have developed two modules - Customer Analytics and Leading Analytics Initiatives - in close collaboration with our partner IBM, who also sponsor a student prize.
IBM, the IBM logo and ibm.com are trademarks of the International Business Machines Corp., registered in many jurisdictions worldwide.