3 Mar 2018
SBE Awards Dinner celebrates outstanding graduates, students and staff
On 1 March 2018, the School of Business and Economics held their annual awards evening, recognising the outstanding contributions of a handful of staff and students as well as three inspiring alumnae’s achievements.
Alumnae Louise Cooke, Gay Deuchar and Jill Ross were all given an SBE Distinguished Alumni Award for their respective areas of work.
Louise Cooke, a graduate of the Management Sciences course in 1986, was recognised for her contributions to the Fast Moving Consumer Goods Industry (FMCG). Louise has boasted an impressive career working in Marketing and Business Development for Cadbury’s and in 2010 she was appointed the CEO of Parmalat, a dairy company in South Africa. She was appointed as the first woman in South Africa’s history to lead a dairy company.
Gay Deuchar graduated in 1980 with a degree in Business Administration with a Modern Language. The alumna was recognised for her outstanding commitment to coaching and mentoring women in business. Gay spent 20 years as an International Tax Partner for Ernst and Young (EY). She was responsible for managing EY’s global tax relationships with key FTSE 100 clients, and providing strategic advice to Boards. She is a mentor with the 30% Club Mentoring programme.
Jill Ross has been recognised for her contribution to the retail consulting industry. She graduated in 1997 with a degree in Retail Management. Jill works as a Managing Director in Accenture’s UK & Ireland Retail Consulting Practice, and has devoted her career to the retail industry. She has more than 20 years of retail experience, working on both the retailer and consulting sides of the business. Jill is also a trustee for Women in Retail and an ambassador for Be Inspired.
The student awards went to:
- Dean's Award for Enterprise, supported by ByBox
Dominic Cowell (Management Science BSc)
- Dean's Award for Student Employability (2):
Jessica Verlander (Economics BSc; Bank of England – Research Assistant)
Courtney Stephenson (Management Sciences BSc; Sky – Marketing Assistant in the Operations Team for Sky Store)
- Dean's Award for International Student of the Year:
Ninoska Barzey (International Business BSc)
- Dean's Award for Corporate Social Responsibility:
Tek Simkhada (International Business BSc graduate 2017)
- Dean's Award for Executive Education:
Rebecca Griffith (Management and Leadership MSc)
- Dean's Award for Doctoral Student of the Year:
The staff awards went to:
- Outstanding Contribution (Academic): Ian Hodgkinson
- Outstanding Contribution (Non-Academic): Sharon Bennett and Charlotte Connor
- Researcher of the Year: Xiaohui Liu
- Early Career Researcher of the Year: Boyka Simeonova
- Impact on Practice: Cheryl Travers
- Teacher of the Year: Michelle Aitken
- Early Career Teacher of the Year: Elena Georgiadou
Check out our SBE Awards Dinner 2018 photo album for a glimpse of the night.