Institute of Directors Company Direction Programme
Now, more than ever, businesses need dynamic strategic direction at board level. Qualified directors can help you stay ahead of the competition, recognise and create opportunities, remain composed throughout periods of challenge and lead your organisation to success.
The IoD’s award-winning Company Direction Programme covers the main essentials of directing a company and reflects the overall knowledge, understanding and experience necessary to be a professionally competent Director. Whether you are an experienced, newly appointed or prospective Director, the programme will ensure you clearly understand what your role as a director is (and is not), and equip you to successfully direct your organisation from a strategic perspective.
It also provides you with a route to Chartered Director status. In short, it has become the recognised boardroom qualification.
A dynamic and professional board of directors has a collective responsibility to ensure that each member is contributing positively, able to perform effectively and ready to help lead the organisation. New directors will need to understand their role and how to be more effective, established directors will need to keep up to date with the latest thinking and trends, and the whole board will need to understand the implications and relevance of corporate governance in order to operate effectively.
Delivered at Loughborough University, the IoD’s chosen institution to deliver the Company Direction Programme for the East Midlands, this programme is delivered through a series of short business-orientated modules, combined with e-learning. This allows you to benefit from superb teaching from experts in their field, excellent networking opportunities with other directors and minimum disruption to your business.
All teaching is designed by directors to ensure it is strategically focussed and geared towards application in the real world, maximising your return on investment. Modules can also be taken individually as short courses, if that suits your needs better.
Our staff are especially experienced at working in partnership with the business community, offering advice and guidance throughout your training. Learning is action based and participative, and your ideas and experiences are shared with other Directors. Each course provides a forum for discussion and interchange of ideas among the participants.
Recent IoD participants include:
- Nottingham Emergency Medical Services
- Greenbank Group UK Ltd
- Black Pepper Software Ltd
- Encore Personnel Services
- MW Leisure Estates Ltd
- Mawsley Machinery Ltd
- Giant UK Ltd
- Action Homeless
- Ilmor Engineering Ltd
- Universal Piling and Construction Ltd
The Certificate and Diploma in Company Direction (Chartered Director, stages 1 & 2) are based on a blended learning principle, making them the most time-efficient way to keep you up-to-date with your changing responsibilities as a director. Individuals are supported along a continuous development path from knowledge acquisition through to exploring the application of this knowledge in a realistic and relevant environment.
IoD development programmes will equip you, as a director, with the key skills, knowledge and understanding essential for successfully directing an organisation from a strategic perspective. They lead to recognised qualifications: the Certificate and Diploma in Company Direction, and ultimately, to Chartered Director status.
The Certificate in Company Direction (Chartered Director, stage 1) consists of four mandatory modules, via 10 taught days. The programme encompasses the knowledge and understanding necessary to function effectively as a director. To be awarded this qualification you must successfully complete all the modules and the Certificate examination. Once you have completed the Certificate in Company Direction, the Diploma in Company Direction is the next step.
The Diploma in Company Direction (Chartered Director, stage 2) provides the opportunity to put into practice the knowledge and understanding gained from the Certificate with a 3-day ‘Developing Board Performance’ module followed by the Diploma examination. The Diploma Programme is designed to encourage peer group support and provides challenging and stimulating scenarios, mirroring in many ways the operation of a board.
The Certificate and Diploma programmes provide the route to those directors wishing to achieve Chartered Director status, a unique qualification available to directors who have demonstrated the requisite knowledge and experience to act in this professional capacity.
Participants have the option of signing up for the whole programme or may simply select to undertake individual modules.
Certificate in Company Direction (Chartered Director, Chartered Director Stage 1)
To achieve this qualification you must attend all four mandatory modules (via 10 taught days) prior to taking the Certificate examination. Once you have successfully completed the Certificate in Company Direction and examination, the Diploma in Company Direction is the next step.
* Note: The examination is not compulsory for those not wishing to progress onto the Diploma or to Chartered Director status.
- Role of the Director and the Board
- The Director’s Role in Strategy and Marketing
- Finance for Non-Financial Directors
- Leadership for Directors
Diploma in Company Direction (Chartered Director, Chartered Director Stage 2)
The Diploma provides the opportunity to put into practice the knowledge and understanding gained from the Certificate with a 3-day ‘Developing Board Performance’ module followed by the Diploma examination. The Diploma Programme is designed to encourage peer group support and provides challenging and stimulating scenarios, mirroring in many ways the operation of a board.
- Developing the Board
Once you have passed your Diploma you may prepare a portfolio of your experience and complete an intensive professional review interview based on your portfolio. On successful completion of the Chartered Director you are entitled to use the designatory letters C.Dir after your name. You will also hold a Chartered Professional Qualification
Role of the Director and the Board
An essential introduction to the role, duties and legal responsibilities of a director and the workings of a board.
By attending this course you will:
- Gain an in-depth view of the key duties, roles and legal responsibilities of the modern director
- Understand the essential differences between direction, management and ownership
- Examine the Board’s role in corporate governance and learn how to improve board effectiveness
- Understand the legal status of a company and other organisations and implications of the Company Act 2006
Next course: 21-22 March 2018
Director's Role in Strategy and Marketing
This course provides an introduction to the key ideas and processes for creating and managing the organisation's overall marketing strategies. It considers the main approaches to strategic direction and marketing within the organisation and will assist you in your role of leading the strategic process. It also identifies the critical elements of the strategic process and facilitates their exploration and practice.
By attending this course you will:
- Gain a clear understanding of the director’s role in the development of an effective strategy
- Examine how your board formulates, implements and monitors its business and marketing strategies
- Appreciate the strategic importance of a clear purpose as provided by vision, mission and values
- Conduct an effective situation appraisal and evaluate the relationship between the internal and external environment of the organisation
- Understand the means by which strategic options may be generated and evaluated to arrive at the strategy that will deliver the vision
Next course: 10-12 April 2018
Finance for Non-Financial Directors
This course provides vital knowledge of the financial terms and concepts needed by all directors in today's business world.
By attending this course you will gain the knowledge and skills to:
- Identify the financial role and responsibilities of directors
- Interpret financial statements in accordance with accounting principles and standards
- Establish the financial health of a business using accepted financial ratios
- Distinguish between management accounts and the statutory financial reports of a company
- Differentiate between the various sources of finance available to a company and their relative advantages and disadvantages
- Interpret the key components of capital investment appraisal
Next course: Provisional dates are 15-17 May 2018
Leadership for Directors
This two day course provides a valuable opportunity for directors to explore strategic leadership issues and board members' roles in successfully implementing the corporate strategy. It considers how directors, individually and collectively, can create a culture and environment which encourages creativity, innovation, energy and employee commitment.
By attending this course you will gain an understanding of the key competencies required to be effective leaders at board level:
- The concepts of leadership and followership, and considers how leadership can be defined and understood in relation to the director’s role of the board
- Techniques for developing a greater awareness of oneself and of the motivation and behaviour of others, and how this awareness can contribute to inspirational leadership
- How leaders can help to build and sustain high-performing teams, including the board itself
- How the director’s leadership behaviours help to create the culture which enables the organisation to achieve its strategic objectives and to respond effectively to crisis and change
- How leaders create influence and impact within and beyond the organisation through effective stakeholder relations and an understanding of the organisation in its wider context
Next course: 3-4 July 2018
Attendance for all days of the programme is mandatory, and all the courses must be completed within two years of registration to acquire the IoD Diploma in Company Direction, subject to assessment.
Diploma in Company Direction (Chartered Director, stage 2)
Delegates need to have successfully completed the Certificate in Company Direction before being able to progress to the Diploma level which comprises the following:-
Developing the Board
A three-day exercise delivered by the Institute of Directors in London and other centres.
The programme is appropriate for experienced, newly appointed and prospective Directors. If you are unsure about suitability for the programme or have any other queries please contact us on +44 (0) 1509 223140 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Programme start dates
See programme structure tabs for specific dates.
Participants can enrol on any module.
Request a brochure
To request a brochure please contact us by email or on +44 (0) 1509 223140
Fees and Funding
Please contact us for the latest programme fees and/or short course fees.
How to apply
Please complete and return our application form, either by email to email@example.com or by post to:
IoD Company Direction Programme
School of Business and Economics
Further information can be obtained from:
T: +44 (0) 1509 223140
F: +44 (0) 1509 223963