Group members regularly achieve funding for research from research councils, government, professional bodies and industry. The web pages for individual staff give more detail about this. Recently funded projects include:
- ESRC – Making the zero-carbon standard home: Understanding project-firm innovation in UK house building - Dan Sage (with Prof Andrew Dainty, Prof Martin Sexton (Reading) and Dr Libby Schweber (Reading))
- ‘Careers of allied health professionals in and outside the UK National Health Service’ – John Arnold, John Loan-Clarke, Crispin Coombs
- ‘Designing for innovation and safety: How can medical device designers do both?’ - Kevin Daniels, Alistair Cheyne, Donald Hislop, Laurie Cohen, Varuni Wimalasiri, Nick Beesley
- ‘Risk and the Design Engineer’ - Kevin Daniels and Alistair Cheyne
- ‘The Challenges of Working on the Move with Mobile Technologies’ - Donald Hislop
Department of Health
- ‘Why Qualified Allied Health Professionals Stay In, Leave, or Return to the NHS’ - John Arnold, John Loan-Clarke and Crispin Coombs
Health and Safety Executive
- ‘Trojan Horse Construction Site Safety Messages; Phase II; Behavioural Observation.’ - Alistair Cheyne
- ‘Health and Safety Performance Management Index’ - Alistair Cheyne and Deborah Walker
- ‘Human Factors Involved in Workplace Transport Accidents’ - Ruth Hartley, Alistair Cheyne
Group members have collaborative links with other leading researchers throughout the UK and overseas. The following information illustrates some recent collaborations:
- Donald Hislop has collaborated with Carolyn Axtell (Sheffield University) and Kevin Daniels (University of East Anglia) on a project investigating well being and recovery among home workers.
- Donald Hislop (and M. N. Ravishankar) are collaborating with Laurie Cohen (Nottingham University) and Dulini Fernando (Warwick Business School) on a research project into the careers of senior lecturers.
- Dan Sage and Catherine Rees (Loughborough University) are collaborating on research into the gendering of drama education and the theatre industry.
- Dan Sage, Pete Fussey (University of Essex) and Andrew Dainty (Loughborough University) are collaborating on a research project into the material and organizational geographies of infrastructure resiliency networks.
- Alistair Cheyne conducts safety climate research with University of Valencia collaborators.
- Eva Selenko is collaborating with Hans De Witte (KU Leuven, Belgium) on a research project connecting social identity, job insecurity and organisational and political behavior. She is also collaborating with Ilke Inceoglu (University of Exeter) and Almuth McDowall (Birkbeck University, UK) on a project on the career-effects of student placements.
- Iain Coyne is collaborating with Dr Carolyn Axtell, Dr Christine Sprigg and Dr Samuel Farley at Sheffield University on research into workplace cyberbullying. Also, Dr Coyne is working with Advance Consultancy on the development of a personality-based suitability-to-collaborate tool and with Arctic Shores on their games-based assessments.
Much of the research undertaken by group members has tangible policy, as well as academic impact. For example:
- Dr Andrew Rothwell is working with Universities UK’s Efficiency Exchange project investigating shared services in higher education.
- Quality of Working Life - work by Alistair Cheyne on safety climate (HSE); Cheryl Travers on teacher stress (NUT)
- Employee Voice – Peter Ackers and Adrian Wilkinson (CIPD)
- Work and Occupations
- Journal of Organizational Behaviour
- Human Relations
- Journal of Management Studies
- Organization Studies
- Work Employment and Society
- British Journal of Industrial Relations
- International Journal of Human Resource Management
- Human Relations
- British Journal of Management
- Work and Stress
- Journal of Occupational and Organisational Psychology
- Journal of Vocational Behavior
- International Journal of Management Reviews
- Sage, DJ (2014) How Outer Space Made America: Geography, Organization and the Cosmic Sublime. Ashgate
- Hislop, D., (2013) Knowledge Management in Organizations: A Critical Introduction, Oxford University Press
- Monks, C. M., & Coyne, I. (Eds.). (2011). Bullying in Different Contexts. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Arnold, J., Randall, R. et al (2010) Work Psychology: Understanding Human Behaviour in the Workplace. Financial Times/Prentice Hall
- Hislop, D., (2008) Mobility and Technology in the Workplace, Routledge
- Ackers, P. and Wilkinson, A., (eds), (2003) Understanding Work and Employment: Industrial Relations in Transition, Oxford University Press
- Schabracq, M., Cooper, C., Travers, C., and van Maanen, D., (2001) Occupational Health Psychology: The Challenge of Workplace Stress, BPS Books