Lecturer in Politics
Tel: +44 (0)1509 223656
Location: Herbert Manzoni Building
I received my BA from Tel Aviv University in 2000, and my DPhil from the University of Oxford in 2006. My work focuses on the political theory of contemporary anarchism, emphasising the actual debates taking place within activist networks. Based on real-time participant observation of the vernacular culture of activists, I apply analytical tools to refine and critically develop the issues and dilemmas that are meaningful to social movements in their everyday organizing.
I am a founding member of the Anarchist Studies Network and co-editor of the Bloomsbury book series Contemporary Anarchist Studies. I am also a long-term participant in the environmental and peace movements, both in the UK and in Israel/Palestine.
My work has been translated into nine languages.
My current research looks at debates on large-scale strategies for social transformation among anarchists and their allies. I am particularly interested in discussions taking place in emergent movements such as those mobilizing against austerity and for climate justice. Specifically, I am now working on an analysis of contemporary anarchists’ views of the state, and on an ideological critique of discourses invoking the right of rebellion.
I teach the 3rd year module Global Environmental Politics, and most of the lectures on the 2nd year module Protest and Resistance. I’m also part of the team delivering the modules History Political Thought and Political Ideologies. Starting in the academic year 2015-16 I will be teaching the 2nd year module Theories and Methods in Political Research and leading the Research Design module which prepares students for their 3rd-year Dissertation.
- Anarchy Alive! Anti-authoritarian Politics from Practice to Theory. London: Pluto Press (2008)
- In German: Hier und Jetzt. Anarchistische Praxis und Theorie. Hamburg: Nautilus (2010)
- In French: Anarchy Alive! Les politiques antiautoritaires de la pratique à la théorie. Lyon: Atelier de Creation Libertaire (2011)
- In Spanish: ¡Anarquia Viva! La politica antiautoritaria de la práctica ala teoría. Madrid: La Malatesta (forthcoming 2013)
- Anarchists Against the Wall: Direct action and solidarity with the Palestinian popular struggle. Ed. with Ohal Greitzer. Baltimore: AK Press (forthcoming 2013)
- Israel's "Tent Protests": The chilling effect of nationalism. Social Movement Studies 11.3 (2012)
- Anarchist Geographies and Revolutionary Strategies. Antipode: A Radical Journal of Geography 44.5 (2012)
- Against the Wall: Anarchist mobilisation in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Peace and Change 35.3 (2010)
- Anarchism and the Politics of Technology. WorkingUSA: The Journal of Labor and Society 12.3 (2009)
- In Polish: Anarchizm i polityka zastosowania technologii. Przegl?d Anarchistyczny 12
- Anarchism Reloaded. The Journal of Political Ideologies 12.1 (2007)
- Israeli Anarchism: Statist dilemmas and the dynamics of joint struggle. Anarchist Studies 15.1 (2007)
- In French: Anarchisme, nationalisme et nouveaux États, Refractions 19
- In Italian: L’anarchismo in Israele, A Rivista 334
- In German: Anarchismus in Israel/Palästina. In Barrieren durchbrechen!, ed. S. Kalicha. Berlin: Graswurzelrevolution
- Excerpt in Anarchism: A Documentary History of Libertarian Ideas, Vol.3: The Anarchist Current. 1974-2007, ed. R. Graham. Montreal: Black Rose
- Αναρχ?α: What did the Greeks actually say? AnarchistStudies 14.1 (2006)
- Die heutigen Anarchist_innen und die Zukunft der Staatsmacht. In Den Staat zerschlagen! Anarchistische Staatsverständnisse, ed. Peter Seyferth. Sinzheim: Nomos (forthcoming)
- The Truant Insurrection. In Santiago Sierra: A Retrospective. Reykjavik: Listasafn Reykjavíkur (forthcoming)
- Participant observation. In The Continuum Companion to Anarchism, ed. R. Kinna. New York: Continuum (2012)
- Olive Green: Environment, militarism and the IDF. In Between Ruin and Restoration: Israel’s Environmental History, eds. C. Miller, A. Tal and D. Orenstein. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press (2012)
- Anarchist Economics in Practice. In The Accumulation of Freedom: Writings on anarchist economics, eds. A. J. Nocella, II and D. Shannon. Oakland: AK Press (2011)
- Utopia in Contemporary Anarchism. In Anarchism and Utopianism, eds. L. Davis and R. Kinna. Manchester: Manchester University Press (2009)
- Dark Tidings: Anarchist Politics in the Age of Collapse. In Contemporary Anarchist Studies, eds. R. Amster, A .DeLeon, L. Fernandez, A. J. Nocella, II and D. Shannon. London: Routledge (2009)
- In German: Düstere Neuigkeiten? Anarchistische Politik in Zeiten des Zusammenbruchs. In Anarchistische Welten, ed. Ilija Trojanow. Hamburg: Nautilus
- Power and Anarchy: In/equality + in/visibility in autonomous organizing. In New Perspectives on Anarchism, eds. N. Jun and S. Wahl. Lanham, MD: Lexington (2009)
- Foreword to J. Horrox, A Living Revolution: Anarchism in the Kibbutz movement. Baltimore: AK Press (2009)
- Practising Anarchist Theory: Towards a participatory political philosophy, in Constituent Imagination, eds. S. Shukaitis and D. Graeber. Oakland: AK Press. (2006)