- BEng (Mechanical Engineering (Hons) DIS, 1999) & PhD (Mechanical Engineering, 2004) both at Loughborough University.
- Three seasons in motorsport engine design with Ilmor Engineering Ltd. & three years in industry leading NVH data acquisition systems with LMS International.
- Appointed to a HEFCE funded lectureship in Oct. 2009 as Lecturer, Sports Technology, Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University.
- Elected as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in Aug. 2012.
- Elected as a Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and registered as Chartered Engineer, the Engineering Council in Sept. 2012.
Research Interests and Activities
- Structural statics and dynamics, optical measurement techniques & intelligent system instrumentation.
- Novel LDV-based measurement methodologies for complex structures inc. from UAVs and industrial robots.
- Research, analysis, design and testing of sports equipment and integrated training systems.
- Personal Protective Equipment design, development and testing.
- Sports Informatics.
- Particular sporting interests in high-performance cycling, rowing, cricket safety.
- Singapore Institute for Sports Research, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Dr Kevin Oldham, 2015, “Table tennis event detection and classification”.
- Dr Phil Harfield, 2016, “Enhancing the mechanical efficiency of skilled rowing through shortened feedback cycles”.
- Royal Society Research Grant: “The determination of ‘Swimmer Drag’ in the pool using white-light & air bubble tracer Tomographic Particle Image Velocimetry”, 1st Dec. 2011 - 28th Feb. 2013, Principal Investigator, £13k.
- Confidential Industrial Sponsor: “Sports Protective Personal Equipment I, II & III”, Apr. - Dec. 2012, Principal Investigator, c£80k.
- Confidential Industrial Sponsor: “Sports Bra 2014 Innovation I, II & III”, Apr. 2012 - Jun. 2013, Co-Investigator, c£77k.
- Speedo: “Grant in Aid of Research in Swimming”, 25th Jul. 2012 – 24th Jul. 2015, Co-Investigator, c£27k.
- International Cricket Council: “Grant in Aid of Research into Cricket Helmet Safety”, 17th Aug. 2012 - 30th Sept. 2014, Co-Investigator, £10k.
- EPSRC: “Upgrading Small Equipment”, 31st Oct. 2012 - 30th Oct. 2013, Co-Investigator, c£180k.
- Great Britain Rowing Team: “Grant in Aid of Research into Rowing”, 12th Dec. 2012 - 31st Dec 2016, Principal Investigator, c£30k.
- England and Wales Cricket Board: “Grant in Aid of Research into Cricket Helmet Safety”, 1st Oct. 2015 -, Principal Investigator, £5k+.
Teaching Interests and Activities
- Responsible Examiner: Sports Equipment Industry, Application of Product Design in Sports.
- Tutor: Laser and Optical Measurements, Engineering Dynamics II, Engineering Computation for Sports Technology, Applied Sports Technology II, Statics & Dynamics.
- Dissertation Tutor for Mechanical, Electrical and Manufacturing Engineering programmes.
- Personal Tutor for Sports Technology BSc undergraduates.
- Invited Short Course Tutor “Modal Analysis of Sports Equipment” and “Sports Equipment Industry” (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore).
External Activities and Awards
- Local organising committees: MathSport International 2015 & 10th Int. Symp. on Comp. Sc. in Sport.
- Co-technical authorship of BS 7928:2013 Specification for head protectors for cricketers
- Invited guest lecture at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Winner, 2012 Loughborough University Enterprise Awards, Consultancy category: “GB Rowing Team success”
- Reviewer Measurement Science & Technology, Optics & Lasers in Engineering, Sports Engineering
- Member Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Received Thomas Andrew Common Grant from the IMechE, 2001 and 2002, to assist with travel to IMAC XX and XXI.
- Invited to submit paper for special issue of Mechanical Systems & Signal Processing, 2003:
"Vibration Measurements using Continuous Scanning Laser Vibrometry: Advanced Aspects in Rotor Applications"
- Shortlisted for NPL National Measurement Awards & SET for BRITAIN Awards, 2003:
"Synchronised-Scanning Laser Vibrometry: Frontier Measurement Technology for Rotating Machinery Development"
Highlighted publication: Rothberg, SJ, Halkon, BJ, Tirabassi, M, Pusey, C (2012) Radial vibration measurements directly from rotors using laser vibrometry: The effects of surface roughness, instrument misalignments and pseudo-vibration, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, ISSN: 0888-3270.