EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Intelligent Automation
The EPSRC Centre for Innovative Manufacturing in Intelligent Automation is a partnership between Loughborough University, Cranfield University, Rolls-Royce, Airbus, Aero Engine Controls, and the Manufacturing Technology Centre.
The EPSRC Centre has a vision to:
- fully understand human skill in advanced manufacturing and use this information to provide human-automation and intelligent automation solutions
- produce exemplars of research solutions to proof of concept demonstrator stage
- broaden the take up of automation throughout UK industry, especially within SMEs
- maintain high levels of quality whilst increasing production volume at reduced costs
- take a national role, connecting expertise with need in this growing specialist area
- inspire young people to consider future careers in highly skilled manufacturing roles
- promote the further development of intelligent automation for UK industry
The EPSRC Centre is part of a unique pipeline from discovery through to industrial deployment. Work initiated within an academic environment can be developed through an established innovation pathway (the Manufacturing Technology Centre and Cranfeld Partners) to reach major industrial companies with the funding and commitment to exploit the results. This contnuous pipeline is central to the success and value of the Centre and unique within the UK.
The EPSRC Centre has been provided with 400 square metres of dedicated lab space at Loughborough University along with access to state of the art research facilities at Cranfield University. Academics and researchers work collaboratively across the two sites and out with industrial partners, sharing their complementary expertise to develop truly multidisciplinary research. Resources include several large industrial robot arms, machine vision and motion sensing equipment.