Ben Halkon BEng PhD
Senior Lecturer in Sports Technology
Tel +44 (0)1509 564823
- BEng (Mechanical Engineering (Hons) DIS, 1999) & PhD (Mechanical Engineering, 2004) both at Loughborough University.
- Three seasons in motorsport engine design with Ilmor Engineering Ltd. & three years with LMS International.
- Appointed to a HEFCE funded lectureship in Oct. 2009 as Lecturer, Sports Technology, Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering, Loughborough University.
- Elected as a Fellow of the Higher Education Academy in Aug. 2012.
- Elected as a Member of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers and registered as Chartered Engineer, the Engineering Council in Sept. 2012.
Sports Technology, Dynamics & Optical Engineering
Research Interests and Activities
- Research, analysis, design and testing of sports equipment and integrated training systems.
- Structural statics and dynamics, optical measurement techniques & intelligent system instrumentation.
- Advanced manufacturing technologies and materials, including computer modelling techniques thereof.
- Personal Protective Equipment design, development and testing.
- Sports Informatics.
- Particular sporting interests in high-performance cycling, rowing, sailing & swimming.
- Singapore Institute for Sports Research, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
- Royal Society Research Grant: “The determination of ‘Swimmer Drag’ in the pool using white-light & air bubble tracer Tomographic Particle Image Velocimetry”, 1st Dec. 2011 - 28th Feb. 2013, Prinicipal Investigator, £13k.
- Confidential Industrial Sponsor: “Sports Protective Personal Equipment I & II”, Apr. - Dec. 2011, Principal Investigator, £50k.
- Confidential Industrial Sponsor: “Sports Bra 2014 Innovation I, II & III”, Apr. 2012 – Jun. 2013, Co-Investigator, £67k.
- International Cricket Council: “Grant in Aid of Research into Cricket Helmet Safety”, 17th Aug. 2012 – 30th Sept. 2014, Co-Investigator, £10k.Teaching Interests and Activities
- Responsible Examiner: Application of Product Design in Sports & Sports Equipment Industry.
- Tutor: Applied Sports Technology I, Engineering Computation for Sports Technology, Applied Sports Technology II & Sports Engineering.
- Dissertation Tutor for Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering programmes.
- Personal Tutor for Sports Technology BSc undergraduates.
- Invited Short Course Tutor “Modal Analysis of Sports Equipment” and “Sports Equipment Industry” (Nanyang Technological University, Singapore).
External Activities and Awards
- Invited guest lecture at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore
- Winner, 2012 Loughborough University Enterprise Awards, Consultancy category: “GB Rowing Team success”
- Reviewer Measurement Science & Technology, Institute of Physics
- Reviewer Optics & Lasers in Engineering
- Member Institution of Mechancial Engineers
- Member International Sports Engineering Association (ISEA)
- Member NAFEMS
- Received Thomas Andrew Common Grant from the IMechE, 2001 and 2002, to assist with travel to IMAC XX and XXI.
- Invited to submit paper for special issue of Mechanical Systems & Signal Processing, 2003:
"Vibration Measurements using Continuous Scanning Laser Vibrometry: Advanced Aspects in Rotor Applications"
- Shortlisted for NPL National Measurement Awards & SET for BRITAIN Awards, 2003:
"Synchronised-Scanning Laser Vibrometry: Frontier Measurement Technology for Rotating Machinery Development"
Highlighted publication: Rothberg, SJ, Halkon, BJ, Tirabassi, M, Pusey, C (2012) Radial vibration measurements directly from rotors using laser vibrometry: The effects of surface roughness, instrument misalignments and pseudo-vibration, Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, ISSN: 0888-3270.
View central admin publications database (new window)