Dr Lara Alcock
Head of the MEC
Reader in Mathematics Education
Tel +44 (0)1509 22 8255
Location SCH.0.22 (Schofield Building)
I completed a BSc and MSc in Mathematics and a PhD in Mathematics Education at the University of Warwick. I then spent four years as an assistant professor with a joint appointment in Mathematics and the Graduate School of Education at the Rutgers University in the USA. I returned to the UK in 2005, and worked as a teaching fellow at Essex University before taking up my current post at Loughborough in 2007. In addition to publishing research in undergraduate mathematics education, I have now written two research-based study guides for mathematics students and a popular mathematics book Mathematics Rebooted. For links to papers and sample chapters from the books, see my personal website.
- Proof comprehension and mathematical reading.
- Use of examples in mathematical reasoning, including use of diagrams.
- Understanding in topics such as real analysis.
- Book Reviews Editor for the International Journal of Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education.
- Awarded the 2012 Selden Prize for Research in Undergraduate Mathematics Education.
- Author of the research-based study guides How to Study for a Mathematics Degree and How to Think about Analysis.
- Awarded the National Teaching Fellowship in 2015.
- Head of Department for the MEC.