Dr Ian Jones
Tel +44 (0)1509 22 8217
Location SCH.0.29 (Schofield Building)
I lecture mathematics and research mathematics education and assessment. I obtained my PhD in Mathematics Education at the University of Warwick and worked as a Research Fellow at the University of Nottingham before moving to Loughborough University as a Senior Research Fellow funded by the Royal Society. Prior to this I worked as a Research Assistant on many projects at several universities, and was a school teacher for ten years.
- Students' understanding of symbolic equivalence.
- Algebraic thinking.
- Conceptual understanding of mathematics.
- Improving the quality and validity of mathematics summative assessment.
- Standards and validity in examinations.
- Member of the JMC's working group for GCSE mathematics.
- Member of the Editorial Board of Research in Mathematics Education.
- I recently sat on the Royal Vision Committee for Science and Mathematics Education 5-19.
- I am the scientific advisor to No More Marking Ltd.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
- Departmental Impact Coordinator for the MEC.
- Lead developer on the STACK project to create online mathematics assessments for use across the university.
- Academic lead for the online LUMEN course.
- UCU departmental representative for the MEC and member of the Loughborough University UCU committee.
- PhD supervision: Philip Borg, Ben Davies, Tom Francome and Emine Şimşek.
- Editor of the MEC's Research Update newsletter for schools.