Dr Andrew Archer
Tel +44 (0)1509 22 8223
Location Office: W1.78
2013 Senior Lecturer, University of Loughborough, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
2006 - 2013 Lecturer, University of Loughborough, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
2006 - 2011 RCUK Academic Fellowship, University of Loughborough, Department of Mathematical Sciences.
2006 Research Scientist, University of Bath Physics Department.
2003 - 2006 EPSRC Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Theoretical Physics, University of Bristol.
2003 Visiting scientist, Heinrich-Heine-Universität Düsseldorf Physics Department.
2000 - 2003 Postgraduate, University of Bristol Physics Department. PhD in Theoretical Physics.
1996 - 2000 Undergraduate, University of Bristol. MSci Physics.
My research lies in the field of soft condensed matter and liquid state theory. I am particularly interested in the behaviour of liquids at interfaces, such as the wetting properties of a liquid. Particular problems that I am currently working on are:
- To understand and predict the structures and patterns that are formed when a thin film of colloidal suspension is placed on a surface and the solvent subsequently evaporates. As the liquid evaporatively dewets, regular line patterns, branched finger patterns, network patterns and other structures can be formed by the colloids that are deposited on the surface.
- I develop "dynamical density functional theories", which are theories to describe the microscopic structure and dynamics of colloidal fluids.
- Theories to understand the phase behaviour of fluids: I address how and why (colloidal) fluids phase separate into a low density and high density phase and when they freeze or form a glass. I also study the dynamics of these phase changes.
- MAA109 - Mathematics for Chemistry
- MAP111 - Mathematical Modelling I
- MAA250 - Mathematical Methods 2
- MPP556 - Materials Modelling (2 lectures)
- Director of Student Assessment
- Organiser of the Applied Maths Seminars in the Department of Mathematical Sciences
- On the School of Science Enterprise Committee