Paul is an enthusiastic and experienced (nearly 25 years) design educator. He has collaborated (in teaching and research) with many companies in the UK, Europe, and SE Asia, including: Guinness, Procter & Gamble, OSIM, Decathlon, OCBC Bank, Mars Inc, Boots, Smirnoff, Orange, Cadbury, Eu Yan Sang, Kenwood, and the BBC.
Paul's research is focused on design education and practice, especially 'front-end' industrial design activities and design's role in strategic innovation.
Paul has been a Senior Lecturer (programme leader) at Loughborough University, and Associate Professor of Industrial Design at National University of Singapore.
- Wormald, P. (2015) 'Value proposition for designers – VP(d): a tool for strategic innovation in new product development', International Journal of Business Environment, Vol.7, No.3, pp.262-280.
- Wormald, P.W. (2013), 'The role of value proposition in new product innovation - a development for design education', Proceedings of IASDR 2013 TOKYO Conference, August 2013, IASDR & Science Council of Japan, Tokyo.
- Wormald, P.W. (2012), 'Perspectives on Industrial Design in Singapore', Proceedings of the 2012 Design Research Society (DRS) international conference, July 2012, Design Research Society, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Wormald, P.W. (2012), 'Service Design at National University of Singapore: NUS students create innovative financial services', Next Bank Asia Conference, May 2012, Singapore.
- Wormald P.W. (2011), 'Positioning industrial design students to operate at the 'fuzzy front end': investigating a new arena of university design education', International Journal of Technology and Design Education, Vol.21 No.4, pp425-447.
- Wormald P.W. (2010), 'Front End Industrial Design (FE-ID) - Developing New Tools and Models for Industrial Designers to Operate at the Front End of New Product Development', in Taura T. & Nagai Y. (eds), Design Creativity 2010, Springer, UK.
- Wormald, P.W. and Evans, M.A. (2009), 'Integration of industrial design capability within UK SMEs: challenges, opportunities and benefits', International Journal of Product Development, Vol.9 No.4 pp 343-356.
- Sener, B. and Wormald, P.W. (2008), 'User evaluation of HCI concepts for defining product form', Design Studies 29(1), pp 12-29.
- Wormald P.W. and Rodber M. (2008), 'Aligning industrial design education to emerging trends in professional practice and industry', Journal of Design Research, Vol.7
- No.3, pp294-303.
- Pedgley, O.F. and Wormald, P.W. (2007), 'Integration of Design Projects within a Ph.D.', Design Issues, 23(3), pp 70-85.