Dr Patrick Pradel
Dr Patrick Pradel graduated from Politecnico di Milano in 2002 with a BSc. in Industrial Design and in 2008 with a MSc. in Design & Engineering. He then worked as product developer at Whirlpool Co. Ltd R&D department and as research assistant at Politecnico di Milano Reverse Modelling Lab.
During his master degree thesis he grew an intense interest in laser cutting technologies. After graduation, he accepted a PhD scholarship funded by BLM group at Politecnico di Milano laboratory for laser applications SITEC. During this time, he explored the capabilities of tubular laser cutting in product design.
In 2012, he joined the University of Nottingham Ningbo China as assistant professor in product design and manufacture where he contributed to the development of the freshly opened programme in product design and manufacture. There he lectured modules concerning design for manufacture, manufacturing process capabilities, automation, design process and product development.
In January 2016, he joined the Design for Digital Fabrication Research Group (D4DF) at the Loughborough Design School as research associate where he is currently working on the ESPRC funded project Design for Additive Manufacturing (D4AM) in collaboration with the University of Cambridge.
His research interests involve digital fabrication for product design, emerging technologies, frugal innovation for developed countries and design education.
Research Group: Design for Digital Fabrication.
Patrick is currently working as part of the Design for Additive Manufacturing (D4AM) ESPRC project in collaboration with the University of Cambridge. This project seeks to elicit a set of design rules to guide process selection and design optimisation for cost effective Additive Manufacturing (AM) from a designers’ perspective.
- Bianchi, P., Pradel, P., Ross B. (2015). A phenomenological study of early career Chinese returnees who have studied in a Western university. 2015 Asian Congress of Applied Psychology Singapore.
- Tedjosaputro, M. A., Pradel, P., Niblock C. (2015). Contribution of smartpens to design studies in capturing design process. The International Association of Societies of Design Research Conference 2015. Brisbane.
- Pradel, P., SUN, X., Oro, B., & NAN, W. (2015). A preliminary comparison of Desk and panel crit settings in the design studio. Paper presented at the International Conference on Engineering and Product Design Education, Loughborough.
- Tedjosaputro, M. A., Shih, Y. T., Pradel, P., & Niblock, C. (2015). Multidisciplinary Design Behaviour Using Sketching and Mental Imagery: A Literature Review and Considerations for Future Research. Paper presented at the International Conference on Research into Design (ICoRD’15), Bangalore.
- Pradel, P., & Adkins, D. (2014). Towards a design for frugal: Principles and methodologies for product design. Paper presented at the Emerging Practices: Design Research and Education Conference 2014, Shanghai.
- Pradel, P., & Previtali, B. (2012). Are books on manufacturing technologies and design really read? A survey about how young furniture designers study manufacturing technologies. Paper presented at the DesignEd Asia, Hong Kong