Human Factors in Complex Systems Research Group
This group addresses the interactions between people, products, technologies, services, procedures, policies and culture which, when combined, form complex socio-technical systems.
Areas of expertise
- Sustainable systems
- Resilience engineering
- Design and evaluation of jobs, tasks, work and service systems
- Human factors aspects of health and safety
- Risk assessment and risk management
- Mapping, modelling and simulation of complex systems
- Participatory ergonomics and service co-creation
- Public safety
- Patient safety
- Health and safety in construction, manufacturing and service sectors
- Accident analysis, investigation and prevention
- Influencing attitudes towards health and safety
- Work and ageing
For more details see the links below to the project listings.
- Bolt H M, Haslam R A, Gibb A G and Waterson P, 2012, Pre-conditioning for success: Characteristics and factors ensuring a safe build for the Olympic Park (HSE: Bootle), RR 955.
- van der Molen H F, Lehtola M M, Lappalainen J, Hoonakker P L T, Hsiao H, Haslam R, Hale A R, Frings-Dresen M H W, Verbeek J H, 2012, Interventions to prevent injuries in construction workers. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2012, (12), 1-34.
- doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD006251.pub3.
- Young M S, Bisset F J, Grant L, Williams B, Sell R and Haslam R, 2012, An ergonomically designed ergonomics exhibition: lessons from and for public engagement. Theoretical Issues in Ergonomics Science, 13, 75-91.
- doi: 10.1080/1463922X.2010.491875
- Haslam R and Stubbs D, 2006, Understanding and Preventing Falls (Taylor & Francis, CRC Press: Boca Raton, Florida).
- Haslam R A, Hide S A, Gibb A G F, Gyi D E, Pavitt T, Atkinson S and Duff A R, 2005, Contributing factors in construction accidents. Applied Ergonomics, 36, 401-415.
- Haslam R A, 2002, Targeting ergonomics interventions - learning from health promotion. Applied Ergonomics, 33, 241-249.
- Eason, K.D. and Waterson, P.E. (2013, in press), The implications of eHealth system delivery strategies for integrated healthcare: lessons from the UK and elsewhere. International Journal of Medical Informatics. (Impact Factor 2.244)
- Waterson, P.E. (2013, under review), Health Information Technology and sociotechnical systems: A progress report on recent developments within the English NHS. Applied Ergonomics (Festschrift for K.D. Eason),
- Waterson, P.E., Hoonakker, P. and Carayon, P. (2013, in press), Special issue: human factors and healthcare information technology: comparing approaches across nations. International Journal of Medical Informatics.
- Eason, K.D., Dent, M., Waterson, P.E. and Tutt, D. (2012), Bottom up and middle out approaches to electronic patient information systems: A focus on healthcare pathways. Informatics in Primary care, 20, 1-6.
- Waterson, P.E., Glenn, Y. and Eason, K. (2012), Preparing the ground for the ‘Paperless Hospital’: A case study of medical records management in a UK Outpatient Services department. International Journal of Medical Informatics. 81, 114-129
- Underwood, P. and Waterson, P.E. (2013, in press), Systemic accident analysis: examining the gap between research and practice. Accident Analysis and Prevention.
- Eason, K.D. and Waterson, P.E. (2013, in press) Fitness for purpose when there are many different purposes: who are electronic patient records for? Health Informatics Journal.
- Jun, G, Morris, Z, Eldabi, T, Harper, P, Naseer, A, Patel, B, Clarkson, JP (2011) Development of modelling method selection tool for health services management: from problem structuring methods to modelling and simulation methods, BMC Health Services Research, 11(108), pp.1-4, ISSN: 1472-6963. Full text: http://www.biomedcentral.com/1472-6963/11/108. DOI: 10.1186/1472-6963-11-108.
- Jun, G, Beniuik, K, Clarkson, PJ (2010) What service designers can learn from policy designers? The Journal of Service Design (Touchpoint), 2(1), pp.62-65.
- Jun, G, Ward, JR, Morris, Z (2009) Health care process modelling: which method when?, International Journal for Quality in Health Care, 21(3), pp.214-224, DOI: 10.1093/intqhc/mzp016.
- Jun, G, Ward, JR, Clarkson, PJ (2009) Systems modelling approaches to the design of safe healthcare delivery: ease of use and usefulness perceived by healthcare worker, Ergonomics, 53(7), pp.829-846, DOI: 10.1080/00140139.2010.489653.
Academic & Research staff
PhD & MPhil students
- Matt Whitehead
- Eva-Marie Burford
- Suzanne O'Connor
- David Meyer
- Bukky Mayomi
- Carolyn Drake
- Ander Altuna
- Nye Canham (mini DTC)
- Kate Dixon (mini DTC)
- Eleanor Harvey (mini DTC)
- Rounaq Nayak (mini DTC)
- Siham Bentaleb (mini DTC)
- Mohammed Ibrahim Shire (mini DTC)
- Simon Murray (part-time)
- Nazim Ullah (part-time)
- Alison Watt (part-time)
- Fernando Carvalho
- Cecilia Landa-Avila
- Marije de Haas
- Karin Boers
- Robin Hamer
- Matt Staton
Recently completed PhDs
- Carolyn Drake
- Rounaq Nayak
- Neil Budworth (Head of Health, Safety and Risk, Loughborough University)
- Mark Young (Rail Accident Investigation Branch)
- Ron McLeod (Independent Safety Consultant)
- Paul Salmon (University of the Sunshine-Coast, Australia)