Professor Richard Holdich BSc PhD CEng FIChemE MIMM
Professor of Chemical Engineering
Educated at Birmingham University, graduating in Minerals Engineering in 1979. Worked for British Aluminium Company from 1979 to 1981 and then joined Exeter University as a Research Fellow in the Department of Chemical Engineering. Obtained PhD from Exeter University in 1984 and joined The Department of Chemical Engineering at Birmingham University as a Research Fellow. Became a lecturer in the Department of Chemical Engineering at Loughborough University in 1986, Senior Lecturer in 1996 and Professor in 2007. He has been Head of Department in Chemical Engineering at Loughborough since 2014.
- Fellow of the Institution of Chemical Engineers
- Member of the Institution of Materials, Mining and Metallurgy
- Member of The International Water Association
- Chartered Engineer, The Engineering Council
- PhD 1984 University of Exeter
- Chartered Engineer C.Eng
- Fellow of the Institution of Chemical Engineers FIChemE
- Member of the Institution of Materials, Mining and Metallurgy (IoM3)
Current teaching responsibilities:
- Particle Technology
- Fluid Mechanics I
- Chemical Engineering & Society
- MEng Design
Outline of main research interests:
- Membrane filtration
- Membrane emulsification
- Encapsulated particle production
- Sedimentation, Filtration and Centrifugation of Compressible Materials
- Novel Microfiltration membranes
Grants and contracts:
- Halobutyl Emulsion & Crumb Size Research Project, industrial funded PhD, £90k, 2017-2019.
- Enhanced Shear Micro- & Ultra-filtration using oscillatory flow conditions, industrial funded PhD, £160k, 2015-2018.
- Manufacturing in Flow: Controlled Multiphase Reactions on Demand, EPSRC, £330k, 2014-2017.
- Dynamic interfacial tension and surfactant stabilisation during membrane emulsification, EU Marie Currie ITN, £250k, 2014-2018.
- Controlled multiphase oxidations for continuous manufacturing of fine chemicals, KN Loponov, BJ Deadman, J Zhu, C Rielly, RG Holdich, KKM Hii, K Hellgardt, Chemical Engineering Journal, 2017, 329, 220-230.
- Microparticles for cell encapsulation and colonic delivery produced by membrane emulsification, S Morelli, RG Holdich, MM Dragosavac, Journal of Membrane Science, 2017, 524, 377-388.
- Polycaprolactone multicore-matrix particle for the simultaneous encapsulation of hydrophilic and hydrophobic compounds produced by membrane emulsification and solvent diffusion processes, A Imbrogno, MM Dragosavac, E Piacentini, GT Vladisavljević, RG Holdich, L Giorno, Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2015, 135, 116-125
- Azimuthally oscillating membrane emulsification for controlled droplet production, PS Silva, MM Dragosavac, GT Vladisavljević, HCH Bandulasena, RG Holdich, M Stillwell, B Williams, 2015, AIChE Journal 61 (11), 3607-3615
- Hydrothermal carbonisation of sewage sludge: effect of process conditions on product characteristics and methane production, E Danso-Boateng, G Shama, AD Wheatley, SJ Martin, RG Holdich, Bioresource technology, 2015, 177, 318-327.
- Solid-liquid filtration and separation technology, A Rushton, AS Ward, RG Holdich, John Wiley & Sons, 2008.
- Fundamentals of particle technology, RG Holdich, Midland Information Technology and Publishing, 2002.
- Liquid− Liquid Membrane Dispersion in a Stirred Cell with and without Controlled Shear, SR Kosvintsev, G Gasparini, RG Holdich, IW Cumming, MT Stillwell, Industrial & engineering chemistry research, 2005, 44 (24), 9323-9330.
- Membrane emulsification using membranes of regular pore spacing: Droplet size and uniformity in the presence of surface shear, E Egidi, G Gasparini, RG Holdich, GT Vladisavljević, SR Kosvintsev, Journal of Membrane Science, 2008, 323 (2), 414-420.
- Membrane emulsification with oscillating and stationary membranes, RG Holdich, MM Dragosavac, GT Vladisavljevic, SR Kosvintsev, Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2010, 49 (8), 3810-3817.
- Preparation and characterization of PLGA particles for subcutaneous controlled drug release by membrane emulsification, G Gasparini, SR Kosvintsev, MT Stillwell, RG Holdich, Colloids and surfaces B: biointerfaces, 2008, 61 (2), 199-207.
- Technical Director, Micropore Technologies Ltd (a Loughborough University spin-out company)
- Affiliate Member of The Royal Society of Chemistry
- Chair of the Particle Characterisation Subject Group, RSC
- Committee Member, Particle Technology Subject Group, IChemE