Dr Marco Lucas Ph.D, Chemistry
Marie Curie Experienced Researcher
- Licenciatura, Environmental Engineering, University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, 2002
- MSc, Environmental Technology, University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, 2005
- Research visitor Plataforma Solar de Almería, Spain, 2007 and University of Nottingham, UK 2008
- Ph.D, Chemistry, University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, 2009
- Research Associate, University of Porto, 2010
- Research Associate, University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, 2011-2014
- Research Associate, Loughborough University, 2014
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Experienced Researcher, Loughborough University, 2015-
- Marie Skłodowska-Curie Experienced Researcher Fellowship awarded by European Commission (€195k) (2015);
- Prize Young Researcher 2013 awarded by University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, (€2k);
- Prize APRH 2010/11 awarded by the Associação Portuguesa dos Recursos Hídricos, assigned to the PhD thesis (€2k);
- Prize Dr. Francisco da Fonseca Henriques 2011 awarded by Administração da Região Hidrográfica do Norte, assigned to the PhD thesis (€5k);
- Prize of best oral communication in the 4th International Congress of Energy and Environment Engineering and Management, 2011, Mérida, Spain.
Outline of mian research interests:
Marco S. Lucas performs research in the fields of (i) water engineering and treatment, (ii) environmental chemistry, (iii) advanced oxidation processes (photocatalysis, Fenton, photo-Fenton, ozonation), (iv) biological treatment processes, (v) combination of AOPs and biological processes, (vi) microorganisms’ inactivation.
- Amor, C., De Torres-Socías E., Peres J.A., Maldonado M.I., Oller I., Malato S., Lucas M.S.Mature landfill leachate treatment by coagulation/flocculation combined with Fenton and solar photo-Fenton processes. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2015:286:261-268.
- Santos C., Lucas M.S., Dias A.A., Bezerra R.M.F., Peres J.A., Sampaio A. Winery wastewater treatment by a combined biological-chemical process: Cryptococcus laurentii and Fenton’s reagent. Chemosphere. 2014:23:53-58.
- Fernandes L., Lucas M.S., Maldonado M.I., Oller I., Sampaio A. Treatment of pulp mill wastewater by Cryptococcus podzolicus and solar photo-Fenton. Chemical Engineering Journal. 2014:245:158-165.
- Lucas M.S., Tavares P.B., Peres J.A., Faria J.L., Rocha M., Pereira C., Freire C. Photocatalytic degradation of Reactive Black 5 with TiO2-coated magnetic nanoparticles. Catalysis Today, 2013:209:116-121.
- Lucas M.S., Peres J.A., Amor C., Prieto-Rodríguez L., Maldonado M.I., Malato S. Tertiary treatment of pulp mill wastewater by solar photo-Fenton. Journal of Hazardous Materials. 2012:225-226:173-181.
- Lucas M.S., Peres J.A., Lan B.Y., Li Puma G. Treatment of winery wastewater by ozone-based advanced oxidation processes (O3, O3/UV and O3/UV/H2O2) in a pilot-scale bubble column reactor and process economics. Separation and Purification Technology. 2010:72:235–241.
- Lucas M.S., Peres J.A., Lan B.Y., Li Puma G. Ozonation kinetics of winery wastewater in a pilot-scale bubble column reactor. Water Research. 2009:43:1523-1532.
- Lucas M.S., Dias A.A., Sampaio A., Amaral C., Peres J.A. Degradation of a textile reactive azo dye by a combined chemical-biological process: Fenton’s reagent-yeast. Water Research. 2007:41:1103-1109.
- Lucas M.S., Peres J.A. Degradation of Reactive Black 5 by Fenton/UV-C and ferrioxalate/H2O2/solar light processes. Dyes and Pigments. 2007:74:622-629.
- Lucas M.S., Peres J.A. Decolorization of the azo dye Reactive Black 5 by Fenton and photo-Fenton oxidation. Dyes and Pigments. 2006: 71:235-243.
- Member of the International Water Association (IWA)
- Member of the Portuguese Society of Chemistry (SPQ)
- Member of the Portuguese Association of Researchers in Science and Technology (ANICT)
- External reviewer of PhD and MSc examinations: University of Extremadura and University of Almería, Spain; University of Porto, University of Aveiro and University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro, Portugal.
- Member of the evaluation panel of PhD and Post-doctoral grants in Environmental Sciences of the Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT), 2014.
- Reviewer of the Romanian National Council for Development and Innovation for the Partnership Programme - Joint Applied Research Projects - Call Number: PN-II-PT-PCCA-2011-2013.
- Reviewer of the Youth Research Projects – IJUP, University of Porto, 2011.
- Reviewer of high impact journals such as Applied Catalysis B: Environment, Water Research, Chemical Engineering Journal, Journal of Hazardous Materials and more 25 peer-reviewed scientific journals in Chemistry, Engineering, Catalysis and Environment.
Organising / scientific committee of international conferences:
- XVIII Encontro Luso-Galego de Química, Universidade de Trás-os-Montes e Alto Douro, 28-30 November 2012.