The School of Arts, English and Drama is a dynamic and thriving international community. We encourage our students to gain the skills and competencies needed to flourish both at home and overseas in the rapidly changing world environment. A period of study or work abroad is an exciting and challenging opportunity to experience living and studying in another culture as part of your degree. It will enable you to gain confidence, broaden your horizons, and develop skills and experiences, which employers increasingly value – it will help you stand out from the crowd.
Our undergraduate students have the opportunity (depending upon their course) to spend time abroad at one of our partner institutions in Europe, North America, East Asia and Australia. You could also consider doing a work placement abroad. You can choose to study abroad between your second and final years of study, converting your three year programme to a four year programme.
You can choose from around 23 partner institutions around the word either as part of the Erasmus+ programme or at one of the School or university partnerships around the world. You can study in Europe as part of the Erasmus+ exchange scheme, or at one of our school or university partners in other regions, outside Europe. Most of our partners teach in English although there will be the opportunity to learn or improve a language. Typically, you will study a range of modules at the equivalent level of study whilst abroad. The academic staff at Loughborough have approved modules at all the partner institutions enabling you to have the relevant background knowledge.
Studying or working abroad as part of your degree is an exciting and challenging opportunity to gain valuable experience and skills which employers increasingly value. You will:
- Gain a Diploma in International Studies (DIntS) alongside your degree
- Experience living and studying in another country and culture
- Build your confidence and broaden your horizons
- Make new friends and connections from all over the world
- Develop skills and experiences which employers increasingly value
- Improve your language skills (though most of our partners teach in English)
- Easily establish relations with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Adapt well to new environments
- Learn to respond positively to challenges
- Network effectively
- Gain a global outlook