Hub 2: Textiles: Print Stitch and Dye
Our Textiles: Print, Stitch and Dye hub is responsible for producing some outstanding and award-winning multimedia textiles outputs.
This hub houses a broad range of impressive equipment and has a number of staff with particular expertise supporting textile production and finishing processes, across an expansive range of surface qualities, to a professional standard.
Projects have previously included: clothing, scarves, bags, headdresses, fascinators, necklaces, soft furnishings, printed wallpaper, acrylic and fabric jewellery and acrylic wall art.
Our printed textiles room boasts an impressive range of equipment and expertise to support textile production and finishing processess.
The workshop is an environment that is able to provide the facilities, materials and technical expertise to apply colour, image and a range of surface qualities on to fabrics and materials.
Art work can be translated on to fabrics by using a light sensitive process to expose designs onto screens. These can then be printed on to a wide range of fabrics whether they are natural such as silk, wool, cotton and blends as well as synthetics like Polyester and Nylon.
Fabric can be dyed to match colour palettes or hand painted and print pastes can be mixed to exact colours for printed imagery. Different surface qualities can also be applied to fabrics and materials using heat press techniques including flocking, foiling and fabric manipulation.
- Print Tables - 1 x 12mtr max / 2 x 4mtr / 1 x 8mtr
- Printing screens, including screens for Fashion, Furnishing and Repeat Printing
- UV expose units
- A0 heat press
- Bullet steamer
- Wash off booths with power jets
- Facilities to flock and foil onto various materials
Users of the print room benefit not only from brilliant facilities, but also tuition from staff with impressive expertise in the following processes:
- Translation of art work on to fabric
- Processing screens
- Indepth knowledge of Dyeing, colour matching and dye recipes.
- Natural dyeing and Indigo dyeing
- Experienced in Colour mixing of print paste and printing skills
- Repeat printing
Our stitch room offers an outstanding selection of equipment in a creative environment for students and staff to sample and try out textile techniques and processes.
The stitch room is a facility covering many types of fabric cutting and stitching processes. From embroidery, fabric manipulation, 3D constructed items and knitted fabrics, to hand and machine generated outputs, hand crochet, machine stitches of various types, and the pressing and cutting of fabrics.
The stitch room is open to all members of the School of the Arts, and can also be used to produce prototype garments and textiles products.
- Bernina domestic sewing machines
- Domestic Over locker
- Domestic Roll Hemmer
- Embellishing machines
- Industrial lockstitch
- Industrial Over locker
- Binding machine
- Cornelli Embroidery Machine
- Domestic Knitting machines (fine standard and heavy gauge)
- Steam Press
- Large Cutting tables
- Tailors dummies
- Millinery steamer
- Brother CAD embroidery machine
Users of the stitch room benefit not only from brilliant facilities, but also tuition from staff with impressive expertise in the following processes:
- Fabric manipulation and textile decorative stitch processes
- Garment construction
- Pattern cutting, draping and toile making, for fashion and costume
- Fabric Product making
- Soft furnishings
- Basic upholstery
- Hand knitting
- Machine knitting
- Theatre and T.V experience in production and running wardrobe departments
- Fashion industry experience sample room production and design
Our dye lab, situated by the print room, offers a comprehensive stock for printing and dyeing a wide range of fabrics and yarns.
It includes a number of types of dyes, including disperse, avid, procion, direct and vat dyes. This allows our students to dye fabric to match colour palettes, or mix exact colours for hand painting and print pasting printed imagery.
- Fully equipped dye lab with download extraction
- Five large bunsens for fabric and yarn dyeing
- Six small work bench bunsens for sample dyeing yarn and fabric
- Winch dyeing machine for dyeing lengths of fabric and small scale dyeing
- Star steamer able to fix dyes on to lengths of fabric as well as samples
Users of the dye lab benefit not only from brilliant facilities, but also tuition from staff with impressive expertise in the following processes:
- Indepth knowledge of dyeing, colour matching and dye recipes.
- Natural dyeing and indigo dyeing
- Experienced in colour mixing of print paste and printing skills