Hub 1: Creative Digital Technology & Photography
Our Creative Digital Technology and Photography hub offers cutting-edge resources and personal expertise to facilitate a wide range of projects using digital media.
The hub has spaces dedicated to support particular aspects of visualisation, digital imaging and moving image post-production processes.
It is open to all arts students within the School, and has been used to produce outputs including: fashion photography, corporate advertisement campaigns, children’s book illustrations, websites, smart phone and tablet apps, brochures, computer games, illustrated comics, puppet animations and animated films, amongst others.
Visualisation & Access Labs
The Visualisation Labs are open to all of our staff and students, and offer a range of applications and processes including:
- Apple's Final Cut Studio suite for video and sound editing and post production
- Vectorworks and Modo Maya used to create 2D & 3D CAD drawing, 3D modelling, visualisations and animation
- Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator for digital imaging and drawing
- Adobe InDesign for DTP Desktop Publishing
- Abode After Effects and Dragon facilitate 2D and 3D CGI and analogue animation
- Adobe Dreamweaver, Fireworks and Flash are is employed to create website design
- Unity for the creation of interactive 3D web design
- Wacom tablets
Animation Lab (stop-frame animation area)
The dedicated stop-frame animation area is used by students and staff to create short animations. These can be using 2D or 3D images, and many of the projects produced in this space have gone on to win awards.
The area offers a range of applications including:
- Rostrum facility using Dragon Animation software
- Motion capture rig
- High-definition cameras and specialist lighting to create traditional 2D stop frame animation
Our photography facilities are open to all within the School and consist of a professionally equipped photographic studio, imaging and lighting studio, processing rooms and darkroom.
The photography studio is fully equipped with state-of-the-art flash equipment, allowing for the production of high-quality imaging. We use the latest in digital SLR and digital medium-format cameras, often working tethered to multi-core Apple Mac Pros to ensure maximum precision, quality and professional image capture.
We are also able to support traditional photographic approaches with single-lens reflex, medium-format and large-format cameras - all available for student loan.
Imaging and Lighting Studio
The imaging and lighting studio uses continuous light sources rather than flash and can be used to produce photographic and moving image outcomes. Green-screen production is supported and there is a section of moving image cameras available for loan, from handheld camcorders to broadcast-quality filmmaking cameras.
Processing Rooms and Darkroom
The School supports the use of traditional photographic processes.
Black and white roll and sheet film can be processed in deep tanks to produce negatives. The negatives can be taken into the darkroom to make traditional prints of archival quality or they can be digitised by our high-end scanners and then outputted using digital printers.