Industrial placements and sponsorship
We are the UK’s leading university for engineering and management placements, sending over 30% more students on year-long placements than any other university (2015/16 HESA student record).
We offer industry placements on all of our courses within the School. These provide a valuable opportunity to gain work experience before graduating and many of our students have also been successful in securing permanent jobs with their placement employers post-graduation.
Our strong industry links mean we offer considerable support to help you secure placements with some of the world’s top civil engineering, architectural and transport companies.
Key benefits of an industrial placement
- Improved job prospects. A placement gives you real world experience that will help you stand out when applying for your first engineering job. Some placement students are offered a permanent job with their host company when they graduate.
- £15,000 – £20,000. All placements are fully salaried on a pro rata basis.
- Professional status. A year of industrial work experience can contribute towards achieving professional status.
- Develop professional skills. Time management, team working, presentation skills and project management are all developed on placement.
- Professional practice. Put the knowledge gained during your degree into practice in a working environment alongside professional engineers.
- Improved academic performance. Placement students often demonstrate an improved performance on return to their studies due to the additional experience and maturity they gave gained.
- Additional qualification. The Diploma in Industrial Studies (DIS) is awarded to students on successful completion of the placement.
Companies who have provided recent placements include
- Balfour Beatty
- British Airways
- DHL Aviation
- E C Harris
- Galliford Try
- Jaguar Land Rover
- Laing O’Rourke
- Lend Lease
- Morgan Sindall
- Mott MacDonald
- Network Rail
- Parson Brinkerhoff
- Sir Robert McAlpine
- Southern Water
- Taylor Woodrow
- Tony Gee
- Vinci Construction
- Walter Lilly
Help to find a placement
Our students are keenly sought after by high profile companies who know from past experience that Loughborough students are enthusiastic and equipped with the knowledge and skills needed to make a positive contribution to their organisation.
We have an Industrial Training Coordinator who gathers and supplies information about placement opportunities and advises students on what to expect from the placement experience. The placement process is overseen by the Department’s Placement Adminstrator and we make every effort to help our students secure placements which match their interests and ambitions.