Dr Martin Morgan Tuuli PhD (HKU) BSc (KNUST) ICIOB, FHEA
Martin holds a PhD in construction project management from the University of Hong Kong, in which he examined empowerment and control dynamics in project teams from multilevel and integrative perspectives. He had earlier obtained his B.Sc. (First Class Honours) in Building Technology from Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), Kumasi-Ghana. He was Teaching Assistant at the Department of Building Technology, KNUST while also part of the Department's Consultancy Team that provided a wide range of consultancy services in project management, quantity surveying and structural design. He subsequently joined Taysec Construction Ltd (a then Taylor Woodrow Company) as Quantity Surveyor and Manager of the Batching Plant/Pre-cast Department until he left to pursue further studies. After successfully completing his PhD in January 2009, Martin briefly worked as Research Assistant at the University of Hong Kong before joining University of Westminster as Senior Lecturer in Construction Commercial Management from 2009 to 2010. He joined the School of Civil and Building Engineering, Loughborough University in 2010 as Lecturer in Quantity Surveying and has been Senior Lecturer since 2014. His research interests are in empowerment and control dynamics, human/social sustainability and diversity, resilient organising and high performing teams in construction and other project-based organisations.
Martin is a Fellow of the UK Higher Education Academy, an Incorporate Member of the Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and a Probationer of the Ghana Institution of Surveyors (GhIS).
Martin is also Honorary Assistant Professor at the Department of Real Estate and Construction, University of Hong Kong since July 2010 and a held the International Young Scientist Fellowship at the College of Urban Construction and Environmental Engineering, Chongqing University, China from July 2010 to June 2011.
Broad interests and expertise
- Construction and Project Management
- Fellow, Higher Education Academy, UK
- Incorporate Member, Chartered Institute of Building (ICIOB)
- Probationer, Ghana Institution of Surveyors (GhIS)
- Project Leadership in Dangerous/Extreme Context
- Empowerment & Control Dynamics in Project Organizations
- Human Resilience and Sustainability in Project Organizations
- Resilient Organising & High Performing Teams
- Ethics, Diversity & Equality in Project Organizations
- Building Resilience in Critical Infrastructure Delivery
- Human Factors in Project Management
- Honorary Assistant Professor, Department of Real Estate and Construction, The University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong.
- International Young Scientist Fellow, College of Urban Construction and Environmental Engineering, Chongqing University, China.
Editorial Board Membership:
- The International Journal of Project Planning and Finance: 2009-Date
- African Review of Economics & Finance: 2009-Date
- African Journal for Built Environment Research: 2012-Date
- Journal of International Real Estate and Construction Studies: 2013-Date
- Construction Management and Economics: 2006-Date
- Journal of Construction Engineering and Management: 2009-Date
- Journal of Engineering, Design and Technology: 2009-Date
- International Journal of Organizational Analysis: 2009-Date
- Journal of International Real Estate Studies: 2010-Date
Technical/Scientific Committee Membership:
- West Africa Built Environment Research (WABER) Conference and Workshop, Accra, Ghana, 19-20 July 2011. Leader of the conference theme "Quantity Surveying, Cost and Financial Management" and Facilitator of Research Methods Workshop on Multilevel Data Analysis.
- West Africa Built Environment Research (WABER) Conference and Workshop, Accra, Ghana, 26-28 July 2010. Leader of the conference theme "Quantity Surveying, Cost and Financial Management".
- 1st International Posgraduate Conference on the Built Environment, Faculty of Architecture and the Building Technology, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST), 3rd - 4th June, 2010.
- CIB Task Group on Legal and Regulations Aspects of BIM (TG80): 2010-Date.
- CIB Working Commission on Culture (W112): 2010-Date.
- ECI People in Construction Task Group: 2010-Date.
- Empowerment in project teams: a multi-level examination of the job performance implications
- Performance consequences of psychological empowerment
- What empowers individual and teams in project settings? A critical incident analysis
- Dynamics of control in construction project teams