Dr Lucy Budd BA MSc Ph.D
Programme Director of MSc Air Transport Management
Reader in Air Transport
2013 - present, Senior Lecturer in Air Transport, School of Civil and Building Engineering, Loughborough University.
2009 - 2013, Lecturer in Transport Studies, School of Civil and Building Engineering, Loughborough University.
2008 - 2009, OMEGA research assistant, School of Civil and Building Engineering, Loughborough University.
2007 - 2008, Research and teaching assistant, Geography Department, Loughborough University.
2003 - 2007, PhD 'Producing airspace: The contested geographies of Nottingham East Midlands Airport', Geography Department, Loughborough University.
2002-2003, MSc (with Distinction), thesis title 'Lowering the Fare: The Low Cost Airline Revolution in Europe', Geography Department, Loughborough University.
1999-2002, BA Human Geography (First Class Honours and the Sir William Meyer Prize), Geography Department, University College London.
My work has appeared in a variety of media and publishing formats including peer reviewed academic journals, international conferences, edited books, industry reports, and consumer magazines. I have also contributed to national television and radio programmes including:
- The Secret Life of the Airport (BBC2 and BBC4).
- File on Four, You and Yours, The Long View and The Today programmes on BBC Radio 4.
- BBC1 East Midlands Today and Wales Today regional news programmes.
- BBC1 'History of the World' television programme on the subject of flight.
- BBC News Channel on the subject of infectious disease and air travel
I have also given interviews to BBC Radio Leicester, BBC Radio Wales and the Leicester Mercury.
Broad interests and expertise
Commercial aviation, air transport planning and operations, airlines, airports, globalisation and connectivity.
Airport operations; airspace and ATM; air transport policy; air travel and globalization; airport expansion, aviation and the environment; airline marketing; the historical development of air transport.
- CARONTE - Creating an Agenda for Research on Land Transportation Security in Europe
Working with partners across the European Union, this EC-funded research project aims to identify future research needs relating to land transport security in Europe.
Previous research projects
Recent research projects include exploring climate related air traffic management procedures, assessing the environmental impact of airspace charging regimes within Europe, sustainable aviation, and the changing cultures of aeromobility.
Current teaching responsibilities
I am the Programme Director and Admissions Tutor for the MSc in Air Transport Management.
I teach on the BSc in Air Transport Management and the BSc in Transport and Business Management undergraduate degree programmes where I deliver four modules:
- CVA045 Introduction to Air Transport
- CVB057 Airport Operations
- CVC066 Airline Marketing
- CVC067 Airline Operations
I supervise final year aviation projects and am the Part A (first year) tutor for the undergraduate degrees. I am supervising PhD students working in the areas of commerical pilot recruitment and gender disparity, UK airport policy, and airport expansion protests. I am always happy to discuss potential PhD research opportunities.
I sit on the international editorial boards of the Journal of Transport Geography, the Journal of Transport Policy, and the Journal of Air Transport Management. I have worked with colleagues at Eurocontrol, the Commission for Integrated Transport, the OMEGA (Opportunities for Mitigating the Environmental Effects of Growth in Aviation) academic research consortium and public and private sector institutions on aviation research projects. I am currently co-editing a new textbook entitled 'Air Transport Management, an international perspective'. I am an external examiner of the transport and logistics degree programmes at Huddersfield University.
- McCarthy F, Budd L and Ison S (2015) Gender on the flightdeck: experiences of women commercial airline pilots in the UK Journal of Air Transport Management, 47, pp. 32 - 38
- Budd L, Ison S and Budd T (2015) Developing air cargo operations at regional airports Proceedings of the ICE-Transport, 168 (2), pp. 124-131
- Gegg P, Budd L and Ison S. (2015) Stakeholder views of the factors affecting the commercialization of aviation biofuels in Europe. International Journal of Sustainable Transportation, 9 (8), pp. 542 - 550
- Budd T, Budd L and Ison S (2015) Environmentally sustainable practices at UK airports. Proceedings of the ICE-Transport, 168 (2), pp.116-123