Dr Jane Horner BSc, MSc, PhD, FIMechE, CEng, MIOA, FHEA
Jane obtained her BSc in Mechanical Engineering from Brunel University in 1985 and subsequently her PhD (Vibrational Power Transmission in Beam Like Structures) from ISVR, University of Southampton in 1990
In 1986 Jane joined the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research (ISVR) at the University of Southampton as a Research Assistant . In 1991 Jane moved to Loughborough University to the then department of Transport Technology ( Now Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering) as a Lecturer and Senior lecturer 2001. Jane has held a number of senior appointments including Associate Dean for Teaching, initially for the Faculty of Engineering and for the School of Aeronautical, Automotive, Chemical and Materials Engineering (AACME).
- BSc Mechanical Engineering, Brunel University 1985
- MSc Sound and Vibration Studies, University of Southampton, 1987
- PhD Sound and Vibration Studies, University of Southampton, 1990
- Fellow, Institute of Mechanical Engineers FIMechE 2011
- Chartered Engineer CEng 1991
- Member Institute of Acoustics 1991
- Fellow Higher Education Academy 2015
Key awards and Accomplishments
- Short listed for Higher Education Academy- Engineering Subject Centre Teaching Award -2009
- Structural Dynamics and Acoustics
Research interests and activities
- Duct acoustics
- Acoustic transmission through apertures and aperture devices
- Vibration transmission through joints and junctions
- Structural Intensity Techniques
Current and recent grants and contracts (with others)
- 2016-2019 TWI Ltd “Transducer miniaturisation for high density arrays for guided wave inspectation"
Current teaching responsibilities:
- TTC040 Noise Control
- TTC041 Mechanical Vibration
Current administrative responsibilities:
- University Link for the Defence Technical Undergraduate Scheme (DTUS)
- Rousounelos, A, Walsh, SJ, Krylov, VV, Horner, JL (2015) Optimisation of the Structural Modes of Automotive-type Panels Using Line Stiffeners and Point Masses to Achieve Weak Acoustic Radiation, Applied Acoustics, 93, pp.23-37, ISSN: 0003-682X. DOI: 10.1016/j.apacoust.2015.01.001.
- Braun, ME, Walsh, SJ, Horner, JL (2014) Sound source contributions for the prediction of vehicle pass-by noise, Proceedings of the Institute of Acoustics Institute of Acoustics (Great Britain), 36(3), pp.364-374.
- Horner, JL and Walsh, SJ (2014) Prediction of the spatial characteristics of higher mode sound transmission through a periodic slit screen, Applied Acoustics, 83, pp.47-56.
- Braun, ME, Walsh, SJ, Horner, JL, Chuter, R (2013) Noise source characteristics in the ISO 362 vehicle pass-by noise test: Literature review, Applied Acoustics, 74(ii), pp.1241-1265.
- Horner, JL and Hu, Y (2013) Investigation into higher-order mode propagation through orifice plates in circular ducts, Applied Acoustics, 74(5), pp.728-739, ISSN: 0003-682X. DOI: 10.1016/j.apacoust.2012.11.014.
- Horner, JL and Hu, Y (2013) A hybrid modal decomposition approach for higher-order modes in circular ducts, Applied Acoustics, 74(1), pp.122-133, ISSN: 0003-682X. DOI: 10.1016/j.apacoust.2012.06.018.
External roles and appointments:
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Sound and Vibration
- Member of the Academic Standards Committee of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers
- Chair of the Engineering Accreditation Board
- Member of the Registration and Standards Committee of the Engineering Council
- TWI Ltd