Dr Duncan Walker BEng, PhD, MRAeS, FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Applied Aerodynamics
Member of the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes since 1994.
- Experimental and computational study of gas turbine aerodynamics and combustion system aerothermal processes.
- Research Student, Research Associate, Senior Research Associate, Rolls-Royce University Technology Centre in Combustion Aerodynamics, Loughborough University, 1994-2011.
- Lecturer in Applied Aerodynamics, Loughborough University, 2011-2013.
- Senior Lecturer in Applied Aerodynamics, Loughborough University, 2013-present.
- BEng(hons) Aeronautical Engineering, Loughborough University, 1994
- PhD, ‘Gas Turbine Combustor Aerodynamics’, Loughborough University, 2002
Key awards and accomplishments
- Best Paper Award, ASME IGTI Combustion and Fuels Committee 2006. - “Enhanced External Aerodynamic Performance of a Generic Combustor Using and Integrated OGV/Pre-Diffuser Design Technique”, GT-2006-90184, Barcelona, Spain.
- Research-Informed Teaching Award, Loughborough University, 2015.
- Award of Excellence, EU FP7 Project LEMCOTEC, 2015.
- “A Diffuser Arrangement”, UK Patent GB 0229307.4, 2002, EU Patent EP 1431516 A3, 2005, US Patent US 7062918 B2, 2006.
- “Improved Bled Diffuser for GTE Combustors”, EU Patent EP03257218.2, US Patent 10/724,628, 2002.
- “A Fuel Injector and Gas Turbine Engine Combustion Chamber”, GB Patent GB1222304.6, 2012.
- “Airblast Fuel Injector”, GB Patent GB1317241.6, 2013.
Outline of main research interests
Experimental and computational study of the internal flows within modern gas turbines. Fundamentally this includes diffusing flows, boundary layer separation, wake mixing, secondary flows, and the effects of swirl, curvature and pressure gradients. This extends to more applied systems such as low emission combustor architectures, the compressor/combustor interface, integrated outlet guide vane design, advanced pre-diffuser development, fuel injector design, the combustor/turbine interface and transition duct aerodynamics.
- Applied Aerodynamics
Selected research projects:
- AIDA - Aggressive Intermediate Duct Aerodynamics, EU FP6, 2004 – 2008.
- INTELLECT D.M. - Integrated Lean Low Emission Combustor Technology - Design Methodology, EU FP6, 2004 – 2007.
- NEWAC – New Aero Engine Concepts, EU FP6, 2006 – 2010.
- KIAI – Knowledge for Ignition, Acoustics and Instabilities, EU FP7, 2009 – 2013.
- LEMCOTEC - Low Emissions Core Engine Technologies, EU FP7, 2011 – 2015.
- IMPACT_AE - Intelligent Design Methodologies for Low Pollutant Combustors for Aero-Engines, EU FP7, 2011 – 2015.
- NADIT – Novel Aerodynamic Design and Integration Technologies, TSB, 2013 – 2016.
- ESPRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Gas Turbine Aerodynamics, 2014 – 2022.
- iCORE – Integrated Core Technologies – Innovate UK, 2016 – 2019.
- ELECT – Enhanced Low Emission Combustion Technology, Innovate UK, 2017 – 2020.
Current teaching responsibilities
Aeronautical Engineering, Loughborough University:
- Low Speed Aerodynamics (TTB101)
- Gas Turbine Design (TTC050 and TTC011)
- Introduction to CFD (TTC102)
- Experimental Fluid Mechanics (TTD014)
- Propulsion Design for the Environment (TTD105)
- Part C and D Individual Projects
- Part C Year Tutor
MSs in Automotive Systems Engineering, Loughborough University:
- Vehicle Aerodynamics (TTP245) - Advanced Experimental Methods
EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Gas Turbine Aerodynamics:
- Combustion System Aerodynamics
- Advanced Experimental Methods
- Almond, M, Render, PM, Walker, AD, Howlett, A (Accepted for publication) Investigation of the Flowfield Induced by Simulated Battle Damage, The Aeronautical Journal, ISSN: 0001-9240.
- Duncan Walker, A, Koli, B, Guo, L, Beecroft, P, Zedda, M (2017) Impact of a Cooled Cooling Air System on the External Aerodynamics of a Gas Turbine Combustion System, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 139(5), pp.051504-051504, ISSN: 0742-4795. DOI: 10.1115/1.4035228.
- Walker, AD and Elango, P (2016) An Investigation of Flush Off-Takes for Use in a Cooled Cooling Air System. In Royal Aeronautical Society Applied Aerodynamics Conference, Bristol, UK.
External roles and appointments
- Member of the EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Gas Turbine Aerodynamics
- Member of the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes
- Member of the Royal Aeronautical Society
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Collaborative research under the EU Framework Programmes
- EPSRC Peer Reviewer
- PhD Examiner
- Session Chair at ASME IGTI Turbo Expo:
- 2014 - Advanced Ducts and Transition Sections in Gas Turbine Engines
- 2015 - Gas Turbine Engine Component Interactions and Performance Sensitivities
- Referee of papers for international conferences and journals:
- ASME IGTI Turbo Expo
- ASME Journal(s)
- AIAA Journal
- The Aeronautical Journal
- Journal of Computers and Fluids