Dr Duncan Slator MEng, PhD
Research Associate in the Rolls-Royce UTC in Combustion System Aerothermal Processes.
- Particle Image Velocimetry (PIV)
- Experimental testing of fuel injector
- Research Assistant, UTC, Loughborough University, September 2014 – December 2014
- PhD Candidate, Aeronautical and Automotive Engineering Department, Loughborough University, December 2010 – December 2014
- MEng in Aeronautical Engineering, Loughborough University, 2009
- PhD in Engineering, ‘Fuel Injector Spray Diagnostics Development’, Loughborough University, 2015
Outline main research interests
Currently on secondment to Rolls Royce Plc, working within the Combustion Research and Technology department conducting testing and design development of fuel injectors.
- Applied Aerodynamics
Selected research projects
- Working on two projects developing fuel injectors for different applications. Conducting test work to inspect fuel atomisation and distribution, in addition to combusting performance. Developing novel designs to improve emissions and combusting performance while reducing manufacturing costs.
- Developed a measurement technique for quantifying fuel sprays for a gas turbine application using two phase PIV
- Analysing aspects such as circumferential uniformity, steadiness and fuel mass flux
- Application of this technique for industry sponsors to investigate the impact of design changes and manufacturing variance