Marking of Work

Assessment at Loughborough University

Assessment means academic work (essays, coursework assignments, examinations, etc.) for which marks are awarded. Marks awarded for assessments will contribute to determining whether you are permitted to continue with your studies. In the case of taught postgraduate students and undergraduate students in Parts B, C or D (and in some cases Part I) of their programme, these marks will also determine the final classification of your degree or other award.
Loughborough prides itself on fair assessment. The rules and Regulations are clearly stated and apply to all. It is in your interests to read and understand the information provided on assessment. It can be found in your Student and Programme Handbooks and on the Web

What must I do?

  • Make sure you know the requirements for each assessment.
  • Meet all deadlines given for the submission of coursework.
  • Attend all scheduled coursework tests and examinations.
  • Tell your department as soon as you can about any illness or disability which might affect your assessment. Special arrangements can be made for you.

How will the University support me?

  • By providing clear guidance on coursework assessment The Coursework Code of Practice – which sets out the responsibilities of staff and students.
  • By providing clear guidance concerning assessment by examination – Regulation VII (Conduct of Examinations and other Assessments).
  • By providing a claims system which you may use to tell us about adverse circumstances which have affected your performance in assessment. The Guidance Notes for Students and the Impaired Performance Claim Form are available to download from the web and in hard copy from your department or from the Student Enquiries Counter in Administration Two. Additional advice may be sought from Student Office staff or your School/departmental tutor or administrator. Any information that you provide (including independent supporting evidence) will be treated confidentially.
  • By providing you with an opportunity in certain circumstances to appeal against the decision of the university examiners without fear of disadvantage – Regulation XIV (Student Appeals against Programme Board or Module Board Decisions).

What happens when I submit my coursework?

  • Provided you hand in your coursework on time, your work will be marked and the mark awarded will contribute to, or constitute, your Module Mark.
  • If you have worries about meeting a coursework deadline, speak to the person who set the work or your personal tutor as soon as possible. In exceptional circumstances an extension to the deadline may be granted.
  • If circumstances beyond your control prevent you from meeting agreed deadlines, complete an Impaired Performance Claim Form without delay. This form will go to the university examiners.

What happens when I sit an examination?

  • At an examination you will sign an attendance list to confirm your presence. However, your examination script will be identified only by your student ID number and desk number to ensure that your paper is marked anonymously, in line with University policy.
  • Marks awarded for an examination will contribute to, or constitute, your Module Mark.
  • If circumstances beyond your control prevent you from attending or completing an examination, you must submit an Impaired Performance Claim Form without delay. This form will go to the university examiners.

How do I know that my work has been marked fairly?

  • Exam scripts are routinely double-marked on a sample basis to ensure fairness and the maintenance of academic standards.
  • Samples of exam scripts and coursework assignments and associated provisional Module Marks are then scrutinised by an External Examiner – an expert in the subject who is not otherwise associated with this University (usually a senior academic in another university).

What happens at the end of the academic year? 

  • Your results for the academic year will be considered by a Programme Board, made up of the External Examiner, examiners from your School/department and an independent Internal Examiner from another School/department.
  • The Programme Board will ensure that any Claim for Impaired Performance has received proper consideration and then it will confirm and publish your marks.

How do I find out my results? 

  • Your School/department will tell you your provisional Module Marks at the end of Semester One.
  • After the Programme Board has met at the end of the academic year, results will be published in your academic department.
  • Your confirmed Module Marks will be available to you shortly after the Programme Board (and/or Review Board in the case of postgraduate taught students) has met. These will reflect any adjustments made by the examiners as a result of consideration of Claims for Impaired Performance.

What are my rights following assessment?

  • You have the right to receive feedback on all coursework. For each module, you will be told in advance how this feedback will be provided.
  • You can ask the School/department to check your Module Mark if you have good reason to believe that an administrative error has been made.
  • You can raise any issues of concern or complaint with your personal or programme tutor or through your course rep. on the staff/student committee.

However, because of the safeguards, checks and rigorous marking procedures which apply at each stage of the assessment process, you DO NOT have the right to:

  • Ask for coursework or an examination script to be re-marked.
  • Have examination scripts returned to you.
  • Challenge the academic decision of the university examiners.

In what circumstances can I appeal against my results?

  • You may appeal against your results after they have been published by the Programme Board at the end of the academic year.
  • If you are a postgraduate student you may appeal against your results after they have been published by the Review Board. (There are no Review Boards in the undergraduate assessment process.)

Appeals are permitted ONLY in the following circumstances:

  • If you believe there were serious circumstances affecting your performance of which the Programme Board (or Review Board) was not aware.
  • If you believe there were procedural irregularities in the conduct of the assessment or the conduct of the Programme Board (or Review Board) itself.
  • If you believe there is evidence of prejudice or bias against you on the part of one or more of the examiners which was not available to the Programme Board (or Review Board).

You should not delay raising any of these matters until you have your results.

  • Circumstances affecting your performance should be brought to the attention of the examiners by means of an Impaired Performance Claim.
  • A complaint about procedures or possible prejudice or bias should be raised in writing with your School/department straight away.

An appeal against the decision of the Programme Board or Review Board will be permitted ONLY IF there is good cause why you did not inform your Dean of School or the Academic Registrar in writing of the circumstances or complaint at least two days before the meeting of the Programme Board or Review Board.

What happens if I fail the year (undergraduate students) or fail a module (postgraduate taught students)? 

  • Talk to your personal or programme tutor as soon as you can.
  • You will have one opportunity for reassessment.
  • Undergraduate students cannot begin the next part of their programme before they have passed the year.
  • Undergraduate students cannot repeat the whole year: your Programme Regulations will determine the modules in which you can be reassessed.
  • Postgraduate taught students can repeat any module in which they have failed to gain credit (a Module mark of 50% or more) on only one occasion only.
  • Depending on their Programme Regulations and personal preference, undergraduate students can take resits either in the September Special Assessment Period or during the following academic year.
  • Postgraduate taught students can normally only take resits during the following academic year, although some Programme Regulations may also permit reassessment in the Special Assessment Period
  • If you fail your reassessment, you will have a right of appeal against termination of studies. The same conditions apply as for other appeals against Programme/Review Board decisions.

If there are problems:

The University has in place procedures which are there to help you deal with areas of concern or complaint. It is expected that most problems can be raised with the member of staff concerned and resolved without recourse to formal procedures. If you are not satisfied with the response you receive, your complaint should be put in writing to the relevant Dean of School or the Academic Registrar.
It is important that problems relating to academic progress are raised at the time they occur so they can be investigated and appropriate action taken.
The University Examiners cannot take account of matters which were not notified by the student before academic decisions were finalised. Students cannot appeal against their results for reasons that should have been raised before the Examiners’ meeting.
Your Student Handbook contains details of Student Complaints Procedures and special Panels which can consider Equal Opportunities or Harassment issues.

Further information can be obtained from: